Wistech 470 historic

Post your dyno charts here!
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Stayed up last night getting the engine in the SAS . Got it fired at 530am. Sounded good. This time it got a fx400 case ,prototype exhaust cam and clear valve cover. Fuel is not pure u4 but a 50/50 u4 race gas mix. I ran a flywheel without magnets in it to see if there was a drag on the engine. C27 tuned for max power with the 1000ecm and broke 57. When the 500ecm was installed it had the flywheel with magnets on it so the charging system was working on all 500 runs. We lost about a horse with the charging system on so that means the 500 would be at about 58 had we switched back to the magnetless flywheel. Dang it we ran out of time to verify. It is wierd how the 500 has the highest line at the end. The afr on the 500 were awful but made gobs of power regardless. Go figure. blink.gif

The prototype exhaust cam did not perform as well in the stroker as it did in the 460 . But it definatly is making the top end power line carry flat all the way to redline. The 500ecm seemed to like the cam the most. I wish the fuel was 100percent u4 . The gas it was mixed with was several months old race gas.
Many im sure are shocked at how the ancient caveman ecm can be right up there with the 1000ecm. Looks like Cannondale did a great job with thier own design.
Run 7 Blue Today 1000ecm, no stator
Run21 Red 500 ecm first time dynoed before the cyclone with stator
Run 28 Brown 2nd dyno day,with cyclone 500ecm with stator
run 58 Green Today 500ecm with stator

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Although the engine is still making more power it has a year on the piston and the rings and cyllinder were getting beat up from all the metal going through it from 2 case failures and on main bearing failure. Ill bet a fresh CP would have been higher than the old beat up wiseco. But that will be for the next time she is on the dyno.

Check out the afr

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Here are the last 4 engines that I have built. smile.gif Kind of makes me proud to get 4 in the 55hp club. All 4 of these engines might be duking it out against each other very soon. I hope the SAS has enough of an edge now so as to help make up for my inexperience . LOL I told Niel I would never build an engine for someone else that has more power than mine an now Im back to my word. tongue.gif

51 460 stock crank
6 Niels 467
7 SAS 470
5 Chads 467 Note was running with broken oil ring

All engines ported very close ,fmf Ti exhaust,cyclone intake

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Someday I will have a 500cc + to get me to 60 . You hear me Tim . Cough one up. mad.gif

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Thanks C27 for crunching thr numbers and iceracer for helping with the fastest ecm harness swap ever.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Well around max 2hp gain only in any config but a very fruitful day.I will tell you all this the 500ecu to 1000ecu swap really suprised me.With quad in trail config(full flywheel,filter,charging)the difference between two at max hp was only about .5hp or less even though the 500 had a horrendous AFR that no mill tool has a hope of taming biggrin.gif Like everyone says dyno doesnt mean everything and I am sure drivability would suffer.Wistech hasnt admitted yet but 1000ecu is the way to go for tunability hands down.Also removing magnets from flywheel and no charging was darn near 2hp!If you have a strictly drag quad do this.Well worth it.Remains to be seen if it was wieght diff or lack of drag from magnets.I concur also a fresh piston would have done wonders.HP dropped off when warm.Speaking of temp was cooler than normal in dyno room and if we kicked in the blowers we watched the stepper for IACV open up.It also changed AFR.This was while it was running and was indicated on the D&M screen.This puts to bed the MYTH that IACV is only time controlled.Not true.

Had a very fruitful day really even though numbers werent as big as normal.Was happy to donate to this effort and always enjoy dynoing.Well almost always tried a couple fifth gear runs and they scared me bad.My daughter took some video and pics will post them here soon.Way to go Wistech learned alot today.But I believe the 1000 won the bet tongue.gif

Oh sweet music!

4th gear Video.Havent scattered one yet.Day is coming though!
http://media.putfile.com/Cannondale-Dyno-runs

Dont think it was this run but the quad was litterally jumping off dyno in 5th.Unless wheels,axle etc are straight will not do this again.First run is 4th then second set is 5th gear.Believe it was between 85-90mph!
http://media.putfile.com/Cannondale-4th-th...-90mph-dyno-run

Goofball Wistech!
http://media.putfile.com/Goofball-Wistech

As you can see everyone was happy!
Wistech
Amanda(my daughter)
C27(dorky!)
Mapping
AFR a 500 can only dream of
Dynojet at Mikes Cycle Menasha,WI
Thanks Chris wouldnt be possible without your generous dyno rentals and hours you hang around for us.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

The 5th gear runs were very scary. No more wheel spacers and unbalanced wheels. Im glad I only had a 14tooth front on . A couple of runs were aborted due to the tires loosing grip and making some nasty sounds when it happened. I dont think the vids will show but one tire was jumping off the roller at least 4 inches at speed. There was the incedent when the huge steel spacer that holds the right side tire up fell off the dyno table . We all looked at the motor thinking it grenaded but it sat there idling happily.

I will admit the 500 has no chance of getting an afr anywhere near the 1000. What doesnt make any sense is how can it run so good and equal the 1000 for power? Had I stuck the magnetless flywheel back on the 500 you know it would have smoked 1000 easily instead of matching it. Even the plug on it was always a perfect light tan. The afr shows it drowning in fuel in the low range and lean on top. Maybe thats because I hardly ever run that engine below 6000rpm. I need to get one of the new cams in Chads or Niels 468 to see if they make more than 1 horse in a fresh CP pistoned engine.

I believe more and more that the afr doesnt mean squat for tuning for max power. This engine pulled the best numbers in hp and torque before we modded the map and got the line straight. Drivabilty on the other hand might be suffering but its hard to tell when they have so much power everywhere. I will take it out and run both setups to see how they perform.

Just watched the video. It sounds great but the camara doesnt show how bad the wheels were hopping . They were just a smear. We need a high speed video camara. Kinda cool watching the chassis strain against the tiedowns.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Here are all the 467 engines I have on file. Tim needs to send me his 467 dyno files. I know he has some right there with mine.
Blue Toms 467
Red C27 467
Green Wistech 470
Purple Brady 467

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Heres the afr comparison. Go figure these results. I think my porting is to agressive which might mean more fuel is needed but heck its hard to argue with results.
The brown line is the 500ecm afr

dalewannbe

#10 Post by dalewannbe »

Do the studded front tires help hp?