Hey this dyno stuff is easy!

Post your dyno charts here!
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 4 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kdeal could you post Brad77's chart using RPM rather than speed.Timbo and I are thinking here.

[attachment=7436:brad77chart.jpg]

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow that was quick! Thanks. He sure does have a nice curve for a 432! I am shooting for a record 432 with airbox and quiet exhaust (stock) this will help. I won't have such a nice useable long range peak like that though. Probably look like a Banshee curve laugh.gif Should be perfect for our trails though.

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

I wasn't shooting for any records with the dyno runs. I think it was just dumb luck and some good maps and tuning by Tim. I am extremely interested in your results as that is a common set-up (no stroker or big bore) withe airbox.

I really think we are overthinking in a lot of areas and these three builds kind of prove that. I used the same cam timing in all three motors. Nothing extreme (108 Intake & 106 Exhaust). The 2 two degree split seemed to help all three motors. The common factors were obviously the porting and no air boxes. On my motor and my brother's we actually had the porting fine tuned using the carbon patterns as they were both previously ported by Tim a long time ago. What's ironic is they are not the biggest ports I've seen, but I bet they are tuned as good as anything else out there. Remember I dynoed last time around with the same motor and a 95mm piston (vs a 97mm this time). With no air box lid or filter I was only at about 49.5 HP and I'll bet after the pipe swap now (since the dyno run) I am closer to about 56-58 HP. One of us is definately going to have to do some simple changes one by one to see what effect some of these items have. I know we have done some back to back runs with small changes but not enough. It sucks that almost anything requires a motor drop to make any internal changes such as cam timing.

I am going to head back to the dyno down here to get a base line now (after Ti pipe) and I will be making a map for an airbox and quiet core changes. Then the dyno will be calling the Stealth Drag Bike......... ohmy.gif

2mike18

#14 Post by 2mike18 »

Wistec ran a comparison on my 448 stroker a stock FMF header and slip on then my new full TI pipe system it only gained 1 horse on top, but low and mid was around 5 horse better with the TI. I would be curious to see how your dyno run turns out.

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

Just so you are aware.... The difference I am speaking of is from the latest runs above (53HP) and with the Ti pipe, not from the original 49.5 HP runs. There were other variables such as cam timing. I built my brother's motor and mine pretty much identical internally except for the cranks. He got 57HP I was only around 53.5HP. The only major difference was a custom built pipe (mine) vs a full HMF system (his). I think the ideas I had for the custome pipe killed the performance. I requested standard size tubing. There were also a couple of good size bends, along with possibly some reversion problems with my muffler design ideas. I had someone custom build it to my specs and obviously my ideas were not good in the HP department. I still love the look.......................

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

A rich running motor will also kill lowend power. 12.53 afr seems a bit rich. Notice where AFR is close so is hp.

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

I think that is just where it ended up. They made at least twice as many runs on my bike than either of the others. They may have had it a little rich due to some of the things they were trying at the end. One of the last things was some of that VP fuel like Brady is running. They were getting some pretty impressive numbers on some of the race Harleys. I didn't get more than .1 HP on mine, but I do know they used the Power Commander then to alter the AFR ratio. They also loaded the motor down so hard that I left the room! With less than 2 hours on the motor, I thought she may blow. I swear they brought the R's down to next to nothing while loading it!
ohmy.gif

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Darkknights

2mike18

#19 Post by 2mike18 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Nov 6 2008, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just so you are aware.... The difference I am speaking of is from the latest runs above (53HP) and with the Ti pipe, not from the original 49.5 HP runs. There were other variables such as cam timing. I built my brother's motor and mine pretty much identical internally except for the cranks. He got 57HP I was only around 53.5HP. The only major difference was a custom built pipe (mine) vs a full HMF system (his). I think the ideas I had for the custome pipe killed the performance. I requested standard size tubing. There were also a couple of good size bends, along with possibly some reversion problems with my muffler design ideas. I had someone custom build it to my specs and obviously my ideas were not good in the HP department. I still love the look.......................

guess I should have finished my comment with I like dyno sheets and seeing how one change or another affects the over all picture of performance and such. I'm not trying to be negative in any manner and only want to learn so hopefully someday I can contribute to someones cause like many have done to mine.

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 6 2008, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A rich running motor will also kill lowend power. 12.53 afr seems a bit rich. Notice where AFR is close so is hp.

steve I see your point and it never crossed my mind to have him make a few more comparison runs.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

In past the 02 headpipe was a restriction though.Was hoping to try it again since so many things have changed and the original FMF round can is the quietest can there is for the WI DNR Nazi's!