Finally got it running again

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
knobby

#1 Post by knobby »

I haven't had the time to do much with my bike since it stopped running almost 2 years ago. I finally took the time the last couple of weeks to get it running again.

Went up to the mountains and put on about 30 miles. Had a little difficulty with what seemed to be overheating. Then would start. Let it cool for some time, and it started again. By that time it was pretty cool on the way back to camp and it didn't start to flash the red light fast, just slow.

I have gotten the ECU-Diag tool talking again to the bike. Had a pin push to the side and was giving me fits to try and figure that out. But, worked great when it was pushed back in place.

I have had to change the Crank Pickup and Coil. They were both bad. I think that I got my perpetual intermittent stalling taken care of also. There were some pins that were not making good contact in the ECU connectors. I found those because I had to take all the covering off the harness to find a bad diode in there for the starter. (The starter would continue to crank after hitting the start button and not stop until hitting the kill switch.) What a mess this was. I then would start the bike with the ECU sitting there and wiggle the thing around.

I got it to stop just like my intermittent stalling problem. I then took apart the connectors going into the ECU and started wiggling one wire at a time to narrow down the problem. After that, I removed the problem pins and slightly (very carefully) pinched them to make better contact and couldn't get it to stall again by wiggling the harness.

Several hours (days...) later, I got everything buttoned back up and also replaced the stock battery on my '02 to get it to start better and everything seems good and functional now.

I just got done richening things a little and now need to run it to see what difference it makes while riding. Couldn't get it to go above 195????F with a fan about 4 feet from the front of the radiator on the bike on a 78????F evening.

Nice to have it running again.

Now I can think about doing some other projects for the bikes.