Niels Bike

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

As some of you know I own a X440s that I got about 3 years ago. I rode it off and on but last year got ticked off since battery died on me and it has sat in shed since. The bike never fit me well and I eventually had big plans to street legalize it since it has a New Jersey title from one of members. Well Niel (cdale55) has been offered a Ice Racing sponsorship on this bike and I am in need of a trail quad stock width which he has. So we swapped or will tomorrow roller for roller. I have never pulled a bike motor it wasn't bad. Had it out and bike back together in couple hrs.
[attachment=7692:Cdale55_bike_001.jpg]

I intended to leave this motor alone as a spare it's never been touched. All stock but ran well.
In process of draining coolant I noticed alot of black crap in coolant. I thought uh oh cracked sleeve. So I now had to figure out what problem in motor was. Easy. Someone forgot to put the impellar washer on. Impellar was hitting valvecover, seal and head. Factory aluminum cover though! Yes.
[attachment=7693:Cdale55_bike_004.jpg]

Well since its this far I cant stop myself from checking cams. Wow! Bonus time! FX400 cams all in good shape. Even oil on buckets after 1 year of sitting imagine that.
[attachment=7694:Cdale55_bike_003.jpg]
[attachment=7695:Cdale55_bike_007.jpg]

Only disappointment is the dreaded aluminum retainers. Those will get tossed along with valves and springs. Send head to Timbo for sticky bucket fix and maybe some porting since its there!
[attachment=7696:Cdale55_bike_008.jpg]

Look how clean this motor is. Former owner really did his oil and filter changes religously. Even clutch basket was spotless.
[attachment=7697:Cdale55_bike_002.jpg]
[attachment=7698:Cdale55_bike_005.jpg]

Since I am this far might as well go all the way. Even though clean evidence pointed to alot of hrs on motor. Wires were wearing into side cover even. That takes time to do. Timing chain confirms it. Lot of time on this motor. DID chain which is best, is wore. Kinked. Junk.
[attachment=7699:Cdale55_bike_006.jpg]

Happen to notice the rust sparkplug? That hasnt been changed in years. Was running really good though. Check out piston and sleeve! An Asso still good to go with new rings and a hone on sleeve. Is a deep dimple sleeve but dimple was at intake and survived. Will try that again.
[attachment=7700:Cdale55_bike_009.jpg]
[attachment=7701:Cdale55_bike_012.jpg]

Finally the crank. Yes! It's a billet one. I don't know yet if rod is chewed by ripsaw stock bearing but I kind of think so since I can see cage is all polished off. Won't know till I split crank.
[attachment=7702:Cdale55_bike_010.jpg]

Well all told this all took 4.5 hrs. I timed myself started with a fully assembled running bike. Not bad at all. I am sure assembly will be much more but now I know what I have. Glad I dug in. Was quite a few loose bolts. None fell out but many were 1 finger tight including the famous 1 o'clock crankplate bolt. Nothing a REAL Loctite job won't fix. Got mine ready Niel? laugh.gif

2mike18

#2 Post by 2mike18 »

hmmm tall bike short guy I have to say it will be funny watching him and his short legs try to keep this upright on the starting line but they way he rides they could start him facing backwards and he would still more than likely win.

cdale55

#3 Post by cdale55 »

Thanks Steve ! I think we will have a blast with this bike this winter !!!!

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Thank You too!Hey you can use that fancy stand to get on the bike too tongue.gif

cdale55

#5 Post by cdale55 »

I put training wheels on it so it won't tip over ! So I should be good to go !!!! LOL

jacobw

#6 Post by jacobw »

i hope neil you have a quad to ride also i hope that wasnt you only atv you might miss it.

2mike18

#7 Post by 2mike18 »

QUOTE (cdale55 @ Dec 11 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put training wheels on it so it won't tip over ! So I should be good to go !!!! LOL

maybe you should let christian ride it he wont need training wheels and can show us all up. lol