2001 MX400

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

You know There might be a little salvation on the old john deere cranks . We have already tried a regular ball bearing to replace the problematic roller. Its been in the engine for 7 years now and still running but not very many hours. Im wondering if a ceramic ball bearing would hold up in one that had an easy life like in a bike. of course its not a big deal to remachine the case aqnd crank on those oldies but goodies.

who_gives_a6

#12 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Thanks for the help guys, but went a different route. Found a former dealer with an 03 E440 sitting in the corner. Has an hour meter with 3hrs on it and looks brand new. Came with multiple clutches, pistons, d&m kit, bars, levers, fork seals, etc. All for $1200. Even put a brand new battey and oil in it for me.

If anyone wants details to the mx400 then let me know and ill pm them to you

Canniboomer

#13 Post by Canniboomer »

...awesome find...!! congrats.
But beware -- don't ride it yet, since the magnesium valvecover is likely rotting, and the auto-bleeder would be clogged,.... for a high risk of the coolant not pumping... A simple drain and refill, or just falling over could doom the machine with a trapped air pocket at the impeller.
Be prepared to check and bleed it manually until you can remove that pumpcover to clean things up in there, and then either switch to Evans or replace the valvecover.

who_gives_a6

#14 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Thanks. That's what I figured. I have a spare aluminum valve cover but haven't looked to see if they'll swap since its a quad one. Gonna run it over this weekend and pull the crank for Z bearing in the coming weeks. Gonna stay stock except maybe a port job and aluminum parts.

Any cheap source for X440 plastics? Boomer maybe?

promod

#15 Post by promod »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Apr 22 2011, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone wants details to the mx400 then let me know and ill pm them to you

who_gives_a6, Please PM me on the contact and details on this bike!, And did you get more pic's of it or just the side of motor pic posted? Thanx A Million smile.gif

beanie$440$peed

#16 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (promod @ Apr 23 2011, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who_gives_a6, Please PM me on the contact and details on this bike!, And did you get more pic's of it or just the side of motor pic posted? Thanx A Million smile.gif

this bike get sold?

promod

#17 Post by promod »

QUOTE (beanie$440$peed @ Nov 3 2011, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this bike get sold?

The owner of the bike sold it to a chop shop and they parted it out and parts from it were all over ebay for a while a couple of months ago, the engine is still on there, but he's crazy for whats he's wanting for it, firm on his price and wont deal at all! it was a shame this bike ended up this way! sad.gif , another C'Dale and a piece of C'Dale history parted out!

who_gives_a6

#18 Post by who_gives_a6 »

What's sad is the guy wont deal on anything and has the engine listed at close to $1000 yet he only paid $800 if I recall correctly for the whole running bike. Might have been less even just don't remember. About half the bike is still on there. I tried to go check it out when he first posted since he's local and the guy refused to even let me come buy something in person. Said I had to buy in an auction or purchase in advance, sight unseen. One shady guy it seems.

The guy posts all over craigslist for cheap or blown up bikes and parts them out of his home. Funny thing is I recently bought both a Cannibal and an E440 with a unicorn case for $650 total in the same area. He must not look too hard, lol. And the E is awaiting a crank and Cannibal is already a firebreathing 468cc 90% complete. No parting out here.

promod

#19 Post by promod »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Nov 3 2011, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently bought both a Cannibal and an E440 with a unicorn case for $650 total

Sure you dont want your money back for just the "E" and you can keep the Cannibal? wink.gif

who_gives_a6

#20 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Haha. Haven't decided what the E is getting yet. My other E is a daily rider now and this one is a project to maybe stroke/bore. Haven't decided yet. No title on it and shavings were in oil. Also sat in the sun for 2yrs, so needs alot of TLC. But $300 I didn't complain, lol.