western maryland x440

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Check disconnects and fuel pressure also.

azcannon

#22 Post by azcannon »

then if you can rule that out its take apart time

hillclimber

#23 Post by hillclimber »

What do i look for on the disconnects. How do I check the pressure. Getting ready to swap.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

You check disconnects to make sure they are flowing fuel.Personally if running the stockers I would take the guts out of both ends.Have never had any luck with them.Fuel pressure you just T into the output line of the fuel pump putting a guage on the T. Should have 42 steady PSI.If not its your Disconnects,Pump or regulator in that order for checking.If lower than 42 pinching the return line at regulator should peg the guage over 100psi.If it does pump is good.But be quick cause that test will wreck your guage if held there for more than a instant.

hillclimber

#25 Post by hillclimber »

Checked the disconnects and there flowing fine but dont have a fuel pressure gauge to check that. I need to pick one up. I started it up and let it run for no more than ten minutes and it was giving a temp reading of 165 on the diagnostic tool.

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats not hot at all.200 I would start to be worried but you arent even moving.Without a fan(bike) it will get very hot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6 2006, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 2003 x440 with 40 hours on it . just cleaned air filter and put new fuel filter on. The idle adjustment screw is all the way in to get it to idle at 2100-2200 rpms. I have calabrated the throttle and chech air box connecter for leaks. I had it out for about 20 mins tonight and shut it of and noticed the header was cherry red . what do i need to do to correct this. Any help would be great got a ride planned for the weekend thanks ! also this throttle postion is at 7.3 to idle

Now is Idle screw still all the way in?You said "its noisy and noise comes and goes" Crank could be going tight.Have you tried richening the offset?Bigger is richer for offset.

hillclimber

#27 Post by hillclimber »

Its still all the way in and everything is backto stock and Ive richened and leaned it to try and solve the problem.

hillclimber

#28 Post by hillclimber »

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 19 2006, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its still all the way in and everything is backto stock and Ive richened and leaned it to try and solve the problem.

I started it up and timed a 10 min run while it was hook up to the diag. tool. The temp outside was between 68 and 72 degrees. I started it up and watch it go to 199 when ten minutes was up. I noticed that as the hotter it got the mor i had to back out the idle speed screw It started at about 8.6 and ended 5.8 but i also noticed that i when i did go to turn it down i would just barely turn it and it would drop off like 500 to 800 rpms but i didnt even turn it a quater of a turn this i dont understand . I'm starting to hate cannondales and thats not good becuase i love these things. Help get this thing fixed please.

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

On a cold quad it will idle way over the 2100 idle speed you want.Thats good.Set your idle when its warm and at 199 then leave it.Are you sure it is actually getting hot/overheating?

hillclimber

#30 Post by hillclimber »

Ok finally got a fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up. Started it up and it is reading 46-48 flickering and every couple of seconds jumping up to 51-52 and the hotter it got the more often it would jump up to 51-52. Is this ok or does it have to be at a steady exactly 42 psi ?? Thanks!!