Motorcycle dying

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
fierorcr86

#1 Post by fierorcr86 »

Alright guys I need a little help solving this one. I have a 02 C440 that was upgraded to a C450 by South Bay Moto. The problem I am having is a stalling problem, and it seems to be recurring in one way or another. First off I bought the handlebar led kit and it is registering a yellow light which means electrical problem, right? So I would ride my bike and it would run fine for a little bit like 15-30 minutes of riding. Then it would quit when I went over a bump, so I'd just restart it and keep going. When it quit it lost power for about 1-2 seconds and then quit. Which almost indicates a fuel problem. Finally I my battery gave out and I couldn't start it anymore, had to push start it to get back to camp. Went on another short ride and it quit permanently for the trip. Battery dead. Well I bought another battery this time a Yuasa, and charged it up put it in tonight and started it up. Don't you just love a new battery feeling? Anyways hooked up a volt meter and saw that it was running the same voltage before it was started as afterwards. To test the voltage I hooked it up to the jumper bolt by the rear tire and grounded it to the frame. I did not rev the bike up however, as suggested by further reading on here. I do not have a d&m kit, but am looking to purchase one or a ecudiag kit. It has had failing problems in the past. Replaced relay, spark plug, fuel fittings, fuel line. The other problem is the water pump impeller seal, it is leaking coolant through the bleed hole at the bottom. So I also need a aluminum valve cover and appropriate seals. I tried just installing a seal, but it still leaks out of the bleed hole. I guess I need the whole kit and kaboodle. The stalling problem happened after I did the water pump seal, no electrical problem existed before I did this that I am aware of. Any possible suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

haydug

#2 Post by haydug »

You have a loose ground wire somewhere. Check and recheck all wires. You can use your volt meter to check for charging, but rev up the bike, should read over 13.5v. If not, you have a stator or regulator problem. Again, check the wires before doing anything else.
Use the star "lock" washers on your battery terminals. Not sure why, but on the motorcycle if I didn't use them, it would always come loose, but didn't happen on the quad.

fierorcr86

#3 Post by fierorcr86 »

QUOTE (haydug @ Oct 21 2006, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have a loose ground wire somewhere. Check and recheck all wires. You can use your volt meter to check for charging, but rev up the bike, should read over 13.5v. If not, you have a stator or regulator problem. Again, check the wires before doing anything else.
Use the star "lock" washers on your battery terminals. Not sure why, but on the motorcycle if I didn't use them, it would always come loose, but didn't happen on the quad.

Thanks for the speedy reply I will try that.