Engine Swap

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
cdalerider92

#1 Post by cdalerider92 »

I was wondering it was possible to the swap the engine from one of the quads into a motorcycle frame. I understand the pipe wouldn't work, but just the motor and then take everything else from the bike. Thanks.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (cdalerider92 @ Nov 1 2008, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering it was possible to the swap the engine from one of the quads into a motorcycle frame. I understand the pipe wouldn't work, but just the motor and then take everything else from the bike. Thanks.

Yep they bolt right in. You might have little issues like the stator wires being different and the tranny gearing different . The valve cover plug in the front of the cover needs to be popped out and the nipple popped in.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

I used an ATV cam cover in my dirtbike, worked just fine. Just use the side exit vent and route that to the frame...

Wistech is right, the clutch basket and associated crankshaft gear is a different size, meaning a taller output ratio. This would equate to more top speed if the dirtbike engine were used in the quad, and less top speed if the quad engine were used in the dirtbike....

Boomer has stator wire extensions, and you will also want to order some exhaust crush washers for the conversion. The dirtbike throttle body also has a different throttle cable attachment, aligning the cable from a different direction.

cdalerider92

#4 Post by cdalerider92 »

So would you be able to get gearing meant for a dirtbike and put it into the quad engine? What is the nipple on the valve cover meant for?

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

Yes, you would need to open the sidecover, remove and swap the outer clutch basket hub (the big round piece with the teeth), in addition to removing the timing chain gear nut, timing chain and sprocket behind the timing chain that interfaces with the clutch basket. A few other minor things need to be removed also, but the timing chain is the biggy... You would need to mark it so it goes back on in the same place.

Another option is to do a straight swap, then install a bigger front sprocket (~$15) to compensate for the different output ratio. That would be much easier. Not sure what sprocket you have on their now, but up to a 16T will fit.

The nipple is simply for a breather hose....

PM Sent

rayspeed

#6 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Nov 1 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another option is to do a straight swap, then install a bigger front sprocket (~$15) to compensate for the different output ratio. That would be much easier. Not sure what sprocket you have on their now, but up to a 16T will fit.
PM Sent

I would think he would need to go smaller on the front sprocket... not bigger and maybe a little bigger on the back sprocket to bring it closer to stock motorcycle gearing in my way of thinking.
But then if you go smaller on the front sprocket does it cause additional wear on the swingarm buffer cause it travels more than a atv?
But yes alot less work than getting inside the motor but if it does not have any updates he might want to get into it anyway to at least check or relocktite the bolts. If he has the origional bike motor then it might be worth it to swap parts but if not ... buying those pieces might add up quick.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

He would need to go bigger on countershaft like Deatons said.

cdalerider92

#8 Post by cdalerider92 »

Thanks everyone. I really like the power these engine make and happen to have a quad, but what I really want is to have a dirtbike. And if all i have to do swap out some minor stuff, then maybe even further down the road I might be able to put it back into the quad chassis. This might be an interesting project. Now does anybody know where I can get a dirtbike frame, preferably rolling as to minimize cost.

thedeatons

#9 Post by thedeatons »

I am trying to find info on one in Washington state, probably around $1000 for it.... Another route is Ebay, or you could contact AceRacer, he may have some chassis parts leftover from his part out....

polyesterpig

#10 Post by polyesterpig »

I could supply you with a bike roller, but a complete bike is so cheap, you would end up saving money. I have an awsome condition 2003 x440 available @ $2200.00