2003 X440 Reliablity Updates

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
captmoto

#1 Post by captmoto »

HI, I have an 2003 X440 that I haven't rode in over a year due to work and the fact that nothing has been done to it. It is stock, no updates except I run Evans coolant. Money is tight, that is another reason nothing has been done to the bike. I ran it shortly about a year ago after an oil change and it ran great, then the battery went dead. My son wants to get back into riding, so I am looking at getting him a bike. Of course I am going to want to go riding too.

I would like to get the bike updated so I could ride it more without worrying about the motor. I know the minimum thing I should do is have the crank rebalanced and the crank bearings replaced with the Z400. Next would be the stage 8 kit. What else should be done?? I've read about weak wrist pins, sticking buckets, impellers, and decompression issues. I would like to send the engine off for a look over, but the last time I did that, I never saw that engine again. (lucky it was in a blown up quad someone gave me) The engine might have 15 hours on it. So, I would think the rings would be good. The next question would be whom do I send it to? I would like timbo to work on it, but it seems like he is very busy and I would have to wait a year. If I had a shop, I could do the tear down myself. Does anybody recommend sending the crank to a local shop knowing nobody around me has ever worked on a cannondale?

Another question to through out. Since I would send the motor out and the motor has to be broken down, should I have the head ported? Nothing big, just cleaned up. This would require remapping. I have read that this head responds well to porting. I would like to keep the stroke and bore stock, just tweak the ports and mapping. I plan on updating the fuel lines and connectors.

Thanks in advance
Terry

quadracer500

#2 Post by quadracer500 »

where are you located?

captmoto

#3 Post by captmoto »

Sorry, I didn't put my location. I live just north of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

It really depends on what you have to spend and what you want to get out of it. here's some ball part numbers.

update Z bearing crank providing yours is still good. 160 to 180
main bearings 65
head porting 220 to 375 was last i heard.
fix sticky bucket,I'm not sure 40 id guess?
rebuilt decomp around 50
you can run your stock water impeller,just depends witch one you have.
Valve/cam cover if yours is bad,50 to 130
avg labor around 400
to ship the motor around 95 no counting 25 for cooler
if you don't have a D&M kit just get a PC 330 i think they are?
If you port it and really want to get the most out of it,dyno tune around 200
and about 100 for odds and ends.
I thought there was a spreed sheet somewhere on the forums?

captmoto

#5 Post by captmoto »

I just want to make it reliable. Maybe a little more power. I don't race, just woods riding and every once in a while hit a local MX track or two. I would really like to supertard it. But I would have to lower the bike.