2001 MX400

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Have a chance to pickup an 01 MX400 locally. Bike sat from 02 until now. Original tires, filters, etc. Only ridden a handful of times and no issues. Owner pulled it out last weekend and changed fluids and fired up/rode it. Never worked on and as it came from dealer in 01 with 500 ecu, red plastics, and extra set of silver. I was wondering if these are worth even bothering with or were problematic. Guy wants $1200 firm for it. Bike is virtually brand new.

Did these bikes have similar crank issues and such? Worried about the older ecu system but upgradeable im guessing? Would it be an ok purchase or walk away deal? I wouldn't use it for anything but playing around and it'd probably stay stock except maybe porting. Can't seem to locate much info on these. Any info is appreciated.

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

Sound like a great deal.I think Wistech was having good luck tuning the 500 ecu.With that low of use,your crank may just need a z bearing.Good-luck.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Any other input? I keep reading about different issues with the 01 motors with a crank issues, clutch issues, and more. Not sure if I want to buy one and dump a ton of cash to make it reliable.

The bike like said is 100% original. No factory updates or dealer work. Hasn't seen a dealer since it went home in 01.

Any further information or owners/previous owners of these bikes' opinions is greatly appreciated. Noticed they also have different plastic, tank, etc than later models. Is there like a specs writeup anywhere online, other than factory/dealer specs?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Same issues as the newer ones but some good parts too! You get an aluminum valve cover on the motor. The crank issues depend on what case is in the bike. But by the sound of it you may get lucky with the crank & only have to put a bearing in it. Clutch is a non factor. May need to replace one plate.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Dont forget the main bearing, balljoints and tierods if not recalled, clutch plates (aluminum) and springs. Other than that it a great deal if clean and that plastic really looks awesome also!

Dachshund

#6 Post by Dachshund »

Balljoints and tierods on a motorcycle Steve? tongue.gif

who_gives_a6

#7 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Interesting, haha. May just have to pick up yet another project. Has anyone seen this clutch cover? I don't recall seeing a bare aluminum one like this before.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Apr 20 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Balljoints and tierods on a motorcycle Steve? tongue.gif

Oops!Sorry laugh.gif

Never saw one of those covers. Maybe one of the first bikes!

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Steve is on a roll, leave him be.

On the clutch cover, I have seen two. I still have one here at the shop. That big side cover is aluminum as well (instead of magnesium). There are a few more updates to do to the oldest bikes/quads but unmolested they are some of the best machines with those updates.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

The left-bottom tank outlet was a mistake on that model, and can be converted to the later front left location -- the stock routing on the MX400 has the fuel line and filter hovering just above the red-hot exhaust.

But the major thing to check is whether that motor has the so-called "John Deere Case" with the undersized right mainbearing....and a crank that can't be re-used without compromise and remachining for a different race....so the first rebuild would have to be done much earlier and would cost much more.
I don't have a picture handy of how to tell the difference, but maybe somebody will post or give a link.