Help!?

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
burnt toast

#1 Post by burnt toast »

There is an auction near my house that has a cannondale MC for sale. Any tips/info on what to look for? Are there certain VIN #'s where the problem engines show up and ones where they were fixed?
What would the "fixes" cost?

I'm only semi-serious about this, but there is a possiblity that I can get it cheap so it's tempting.

Anyone have input? I attached a pic. I'm not sure of any details about it yet, not even the year.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Well its an early style frame which for me is a plus. Depending on engine condition updating can cost from a few hundred to a couple thousand. Sadly it seems bikes have even less value for selling than quads. Great for buyers though. If you plan on buying for keeps then go for it but if your garage is a revolving door of machines then expect to loose a lot of money on resale.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (burnt toast @ Jan 17 2012, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is an auction near my house that has a cannondale MC for sale. Any tips/info on what to look for? Are there certain VIN #'s where the problem engines show up and ones where they were fixed?
What would the "fixes" cost?

I'm only semi-serious about this, but there is a possiblity that I can get it cheap so it's tempting.

Anyone have input? I attached a pic. I'm not sure of any details about it yet, not even the year.

Where is this at?

burnt toast

#4 Post by burnt toast »

NC - right coast!

I'd love to keep it and play, but I just bought a DR650 to play with and already have a ZX6E. I didn't know if I could resell it, use it to farkle my DR (suspension, etc?), or sell parts to those trying to keep their Cannondales running.

I just saw it at an upcoming auction, researched what the **** it was, and tried to find more info. I doubt anyone there will know what it is, which means either it'll be a steal or someone will say "cool dirt bike" without knowing anything and bid.

dunno if I'll do anything.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Well if its any help I bought the same bike with just a few tanks of fuel through it for just over $400. It didnt run because it needed a $2 diode in the wiring harness. The extra new parts that came with it were worth more than what i paid for the bike. I just stuck a $2000 engine in it and threw the original on the shelf. I doubt I could turn around and sell it for that even though it is an incredible machine.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Here is the bike. I got other pics from the auctioneer and it looks like its in great shape. The owner is a collector of sorts.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopan...p;zip=&kwd=

But......the reserve is at $4000. ROFL!! blink.gif

I told the auctioneer that no one that knew anything about cannondales would pay more than $500 for it. So 1 of 2 things is going to happen. Someone that knows nothing about these things will look at it and think, dang that's pretty. And pay more than the should for it. Or the guy will just sit on it. Either way, I am not even going to waste my time going to HighPoint on this one. Too bad, I was about ready to drive up there.