new c-dale owner

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
exotic rider

#1 Post by exotic rider »

Hello,
I am in the process of purchasing a new to me cannondale x440 dirtbike,I am wondering what I need to know about /what to look for as far as reliability issues? The bike needs a new fuel pump and to have the ecu re programmed according to current owner,I am buying it right so I do not mind putting some money in it.I have gone to the atk web site and seen they came up with a lot of updates to make this asolid bike-I just need to know what are some of the fisrts things I should do? I thinking of just tearing the motor down and updating from the lower end up so its soild once its done.the bike is a 2003 any advice would be great thanks!

nixhex32

#2 Post by nixhex32 »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Feb 19 2012, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,
I am in the process of purchasing a new to me cannondale x440 dirtbike,I am wondering what I need to know about /what to look for as far as reliability issues? The bike needs a new fuel pump and to have the ecu re programmed according to current owner,I am buying it right so I do not mind putting some money in it.I have gone to the atk web site and seen they came up with a lot of updates to make this asolid bike-I just need to know what are some of the fisrts things I should do? I thinking of just tearing the motor down and updating from the lower end up so its soild once its done.the bike is a 2003 any advice would be great thanks!

make sure you have canniboomer on speed dial!!!!!!

exotic rider

#3 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (nixhex32 @ Feb 19 2012, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
make sure you have canniboomer on speed dial!!!!!!

So I am going to pick it up the week after next,I got some new pics from the the current owner and asked him if he new rather or not it had been updated(motor) he said the dealer he bought it from had said something about engine updates but he was not sure what was done,he basically said it was running last year and he bought a four wheeler and did not use it after that and when he went to start it some months later it wouldnt start.He then talked to atk and they told him his ecu would need to be reprogrammed.The bike has the s1000 ecu and he bought a new battery,atk also advised him he would need a new fuel pump-It could be my powersports mechanic intuition but it seems like atk is just guessing here-how can you diagnose this stuff from utah and we are in maine?The guy said i would need to send out the throttle body with the ecu to have programmed,I am really interested in putting all this stuff back on to see what it does before i just throw money down on a re programm what do you think?also why is the s1000 ecu the one to have-was this a newer updated version?I do not have a d/m kit is there a way around that?

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

A D&M Kit is great to have, but it is actually the LAST thing to buy, after a long list of external and internal fundamentals are addressed.... the S-1000 ECU is likely OK unless somebody zapped it by fooling with the fuelpump wires, and after it was strangled for fuel and became stubborn to even start -- just like ALL stock machines.
That is a good model, and the less that some early dealer may have done to it?...probably better that way.

nixhex32

#5 Post by nixhex32 »

Dave would know better than me. But I think I have run into a fuel injector problem from the bike not bring run much either. Old gas will screw up stuff quick. I yanked mine out and one was definitely dirty.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

nix where are you out of?

exotic rider

#7 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Mar 1 2012, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A D&M Kit is great to have, but it is actually the LAST thing to buy, after a long list of external and internal fundamentals are addressed.... the S-1000 ECU is likely OK unless somebody zapped it by fooling with the fuelpump wires, and after it was strangled for fuel and became stubborn to even start -- just like ALL stock machines.
That is a good model, and the less that some early dealer may have done to it?...probably better that way.

Thats good to know,so would you advise me to try putting evrything back on and go through the motions of checking all tose items on your list? i really want to make this thing right,I will do a little at a time and make it a solid bike over a month or so,am i able to source the manuals? the current owner does not have them.I see online you guys have them posted, but iwould rather have a paper copy if available and crazy money.I have a thought of trying to hear the motor before i go into the lower end,and make moves from there.

nixhex32

#8 Post by nixhex32 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Mar 1 2012, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nix where are you out of?

texas

r.porter

#9 Post by r.porter »

Cool another Texan! smile.gif