X440 INFORMATION

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

As a new owner of an X440 ,I have been spending hours reading all the information I can on the forums. It is interesting that since these bikes are no longer made,I might be asking the same questions that the previous owner of my bike asked.
I have ridden bikes for 46 years off and on. Motocross,Hare Scrambles and Trials.I don't know why I am letting this bike intimidate me.Not the power ,but the reliability.At most,I will ride about 100 miles a year.But I like tight woods,in the middle of nowhere.
Mine has the updates,except for the fuel quick connects.I am still nervous about gutting the originals and might get Daves kit.
I haven't even ridden the thing yet.My first ride might be to a local closed circuit park,to hash things out before I do a big trip.
I need to know if there are any Cannondalers in my area(Northern Illinois),to air my problems with.
Would like some gearing ideas,suspension settings.
Does anyone know how to change the fork oil? I can't find a post on that.

Great Forum. Keep up the good work.

exotic rider

#2 Post by exotic rider »

Hey your in the same boat as me I jut bought a 2003 x440 wondering the same as my style of rideing is the same tight woods in maine.I am hoping for the best,I will say however there are some brite guys on this forum and a lot of know how.good luck.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

It's funny that after all these years of riding, I am nervous about taking a bike out. I have had brands like CZ, Husky,Yamaha,Suzuki and Kawasaki . I guess at my age,I don't want to push back to camp any more.
You are right about the guys on this forum.Lots of know how and experience.
Owning a Cannondale is kinda like owning a trials bike. They have a small community of loyal riders that will do most anything for each other.

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

Bigfoot,if your updates are done to your engine I would not worry to much.It seem like all modern fourstrokes have problems now and then.I have been on many rides over the years (alone)on 6 different Cannondales I have owned and have yet to be stranded.Some updated and some un-updated.Gutting the disconnects are simple,but Boomer does have a nice tank set-up.Good-luck with you Dale.Oh,be warned,they multiply like gremlins!

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Mar 2 2012, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bigfoot,if your updates are done to your engine I would not worry to much.It seem like all modern fourstrokes have problems now and then.I have been on many rides over the years (alone)on 6 different Cannondales I have owned and have yet to be stranded.Some updated and some un-updated.Gutting the disconnects are simple,but Boomer does have a nice tank set-up.Good-luck with you Dale.Oh,be warned,they multiply like gremlins!

It would be nice for mine to have a partner.
Dave (boomer) is a great asset to this forum. He has been extremely helpful already. BTW. Thanks Dave for the Ohlins information.

funmachines

#6 Post by funmachines »

Download the manual - it's pretty good. These are pretty easy to work on too. There are some other maps you can load to change the behavior of the motor if you don't like how it works for you now. They multiplied for me too. Now I have 3 bikes and a quad.