fuel pump

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
exotic rider

#1 Post by exotic rider »

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the napa fuel pump?I found it on this site in someones crossreference guide.It seems to have
43gph rating and looks like what i have seen elsewhere and i am wondering will this bolt right up and work or would it be better to spend the extra money on oem?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

If the Napa pump is an external Walbro, yes it will bolt up and fit the same, since Walbro uses the same casings for pumps up to over 300HP.

But it would not be good to use one on an X440 anyway, since your machine probably has the OEM thinnest MC stator and could be 2-wire 2-phase...and not even ready for a normal headlight. The lowest output "universal" pump is for autos up to like 200HP, and just far more than the Cannondale needs....it would be wasted ignition power going to a pump that will groan even more, and run hotter with the same given fuelpath. The loudest pump I have ever heard was a screaming GSL393(NAPA?), which I swapped back to the OEM GSL414 after opening the fuelpath. That one was a dune ATV that could not handle headlights for more than 10 minutes.

Even if you converted to the higher output ATV stator and Vreg, there is no good reason, price or otherwise, to use the NAPA Walbro, since a new stock pump is more than capable to run the biggest monster Cannondale.
Our Walbros got a bad reputation early on -- but that was caused by the poor strangled plumbing. I don't think we should blame the pump -- instead, blame the plumbing.

exotic rider

#3 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Mar 17 2012, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Napa pump is an external Walbro, yes it will bolt up and fit the same, since Walbro uses the same casings for pumps up to over 300HP.

But it would not be good to use one on an X440 anyway, since your machine probably has the OEM thinnest MC stator and could be 2-wire 2-phase...and not even ready for a normal headlight. The lowest output "universal" pump is for autos up to like 200HP, and just far more than the Cannondale needs....it would be wasted ignition power going to a pump that will groan even more, and run hotter with the same given fuelpath. The loudest pump I have ever heard was a screaming GSL393(NAPA?), which I swapped back to the OEM GSL414 after opening the fuelpath. That one was a dune ATV that could not handle headlights for more than 10 minutes.

Even if you converted to the higher output ATV stator and Vreg, there is no good reason, price or otherwise, to use the NAPA Walbro, since a new stock pump is more than capable to run the biggest monster Cannondale.
Our Walbros got a bad reputation early on -- but that was caused by the poor strangled plumbing. I don't think we should blame the pump -- instead, blame the plumbing.

Thanks dave,I am headed up tommorrow to pick up the bike,I will then be looking at the water pump/valve cover,valve adjust ment and fuel system.I aim to get this up an running strong for the season and with any luck do a full overhaul at the end of the seanson.

exotic rider

#4 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 18 2012, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks dave,I am headed up tommorrow to pick up the bike,I will then be looking at the water pump/valve cover,valve adjust ment and fuel system.I aim to get this up an running strong for the season and with any luck do a full overhaul at the end of the seanson.

is there any way while i check the valves to verify the sticky bucket is not affecting my bike? IF I have to take the head off i will but was hoping to be able to get it running before i go that far.