What happened to my injector?

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#11 Post by bigfoot17 »

Well, I tried to push the cap over the o-ring. Either the o-ring has swelled or it was the wrong one to begin with. Or I am weaker than I think. I did not want to force it and break something else.Even with grease,it was going to take LOTS of force.

[attachment=12146:o_ring.JPG]

bigfoot17

#12 Post by bigfoot17 »

I managed to get the cap on. The retaining clip does not seem to seat as well as it should. I worked on the clip for 20 minutes trying to get it to seat. Looks like the slots in the clip are smaller than the rib on the cap.I know that is not possible,but that is what the symptom is.
Looks OK for now , time will tell.
After the air filter dries from cleaning,I will check for leaks.
Are new clips available?

MRHorsepower

#13 Post by MRHorsepower »

New ones are available. Have have several sets here all are used but in good shape. Low on nuts and studs tho.

bigfoot17

#14 Post by bigfoot17 »

Put everything back together and the o-ring leaked. I must have nicked it when installing.I did notice that this injector is loose in it's hole. It came out very easy. I am going to replace both o-rings.
Is the clip , the only thing that holds the injector in?

MRHorsepower

#15 Post by MRHorsepower »

Best to apply a small amount of some type of o ring grease like di electric ect. And install with a slight twist. The o ring helps seat the injector in the bung of the manifold throat and the. Clips keep the injector in place.

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

When you install the injector cap you cannot just push them on square as the oring is much bigger than the sharp edge of the cap. Use engine oil or a small amount of chassis grease to install. ( it will disolve and not clog the injector filter). Install the cap off square with the injector slightly so it just covers the oring. Then squeeze that part that is covered by the cap so the other sharp edge can get around the free edge of the oring. You can use your finger or a angled pick to help tuck the oring under the cap or an easy roling motion. They should have flared the edge of the caps like fuel rails on every other vehicle so this is never an issue but the design of the system didnt really allow for that.

bigfoot17

#17 Post by bigfoot17 »

I ordered new o-rings from Dave last night.Plus the gas cap is cracked. He is sending a new one,also. My first attempt to install the cap was with the radiator pushed slightly out of the way. Now I have the front fender removed,which allows the radiator to be moved totally out of the way. I will be installing the cap first and then the injector.
I want to ride this coming Saturday and hope the parts arrive by then.
Wistech, I did check with the Napa store. They have injection o-rings,but I wanted to start with the OEM ones first. If I don't get the rings by Wednesday,I may be making a trip to Napa.Just don't want to be taking this thing apart again.

bigfoot17

#18 Post by bigfoot17 »

New gas cap and injector o-rings got here today. Installed a new filter while I was at it. See my other post.
I think I am back in business. So much for riding today, though.
Maybe next weekend.