What happened to my injector?

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

Took the bike out for the first time today. Everything was going great. After the last loop.I pulled up to the van and gas was pouring out. Got home, washed the bike and started it. Gas was spraying out leading me to think injector. I pulled the tank and loosened the radiator and the injector had come apart. How can that happen? Can I put it back together. Are there possible parts missing? Probably need to pull the radiator to fix,
HELP ME!!

[attachment=12145:Injector.JPG]

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Easy fix but radiator removal or atleast loosening will be best route. It pops back on over the o-ring but be careful not to damage it in the process. The metal holder clip that's hanging below the injector clips on to it and helps hold it in place. Get it on, put the clip on it and squeeze together if it's not holding well then make sure the bolt that connects the clip to the head is tight. It's tiny also.

That part isn't actually part of the injector, just the fuel cap.

BlackToothGrin

#3 Post by BlackToothGrin »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Jun 2 2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Took the bike out for the first time today. Everything was going great. After the last loop.I pulled up to the van and gas was pouring out. Got home, washed the bike and started it. Gas was spraying out leading me to think injector. I pulled the tank and loosened the radiator and the injector had come apart. How can that happen? Can I put it back together. Are there possible parts missing? Probably need to pull the radiator to fix,
HELP!!

That's the bung that came off the injector probably cause the keeper wasn't seated correctly. If the o-ring on the injector didn't swell up, you should be able to simply push it back on. Put a little dielectric grease on the o-ring first. Be sure to put the keeper on correctly. The slot in the keeper swallows the ring on the bung. If it doesn't reach, the bung or injector is not seated all the way.

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

I tried to put it back on with the radiator loosened.No luck. Looks like removal of radiator is the best bet. I was thinking of wire ties to hold the clips on better. Am I looking for nicks in the O-ring?

MRHorsepower

#5 Post by MRHorsepower »

O ring may have swelled best to replace and apply a very small amount of di electric grease before installing bung.

MRHorsepower

#6 Post by MRHorsepower »

The injector hold downs should hold injector. May be a little sprung. Also check the nut on the hold down studs to ensure its still there and tight.

bigfoot17

#7 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (MRHorsepower @ Jun 2 2012, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The injector hold downs should hold injector. May be a little sprung. Also check the nut on the hold down studs to ensure its still there and tight.

What size are the o-rings?

MRHorsepower

#8 Post by MRHorsepower »

Unsure of the metric size the part# is 5001545

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

You can get a new oring in a universal injector oring kit from any local parts store ($5 at autozone,) They rarely swell up but do get cut from someone who just rams them on without carefully working them back on. . Just need a little grease to aid a rolling motion while installing the cap. Ive had a few pop off in the field and was able to get them all back on without taking anything apart. One of my updates is to zip tie injector caps to the injector body so this can never happen.

bigfoot17

#10 Post by bigfoot17 »

I am not sure how it popped off.My thinking was vibration. Maybe it was not seated from the previous owner. I will try and install tomorrow and will install zipties for piece of mind.
Otherwise the ride was a good one.