Blowing Fuses/Pump

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

My 02 E440 is acting weird. Ran great last time used. Switched out handlebars and battery and upon hitting the starter I got a short blip and then no power. Both fuses blown. The size 10 fuse would blow immediately when putting it in, but the other one that's a 20 only blows when hitting starter. I removed the light switch and now the fuses don't blow, but the fuel pump won't even prime or attempt to work. I switched the pump with a known good one and still nothing. I've **** near stripped it down checking all connectors, grounds, etc to no avail.

Anyone had similar issues on these? Trying to figure out what could've changed during the bar/battery swap. Upon searching forums I'm thinking maybe the start/stop switches. I have the seperate ones.

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

May have solved it. Looks like the switch burned up both fuel pumps somehow as well as the coil and regulator. How that is, I don't know. Not sure how a switch going bad could cause all that, but now everything appears to work. Interestingly enough, the ECU lost its settings but appears to be ok. Now the pump runs good and there's a strong spark. Couldn't actually start it yet because of how late it is but will tomorrow to confirm all is good.

exotic rider

#3 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Sep 13 2012, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May have solved it. Looks like the switch burned up both fuel pumps somehow as well as the coil and regulator. How that is, I don't know. Not sure how a switch going bad could cause all that, but now everything appears to work. Interestingly enough, the ECU lost its settings but appears to be ok. Now the pump runs good and there's a strong spark. Couldn't actually start it yet because of how late it is but will tomorrow to confirm all is good.

Any luck?

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

The weirdness got even weirder. I get nothing from the injectors. No fuel at all, but pump flows out and back to the tank fine. Seems they're not opening. Switched injectors to no avail. Haven't done any electrical checks to the injectors but will this week. If I put a small shot of fuel in throttle body when starting it'll fire up for a second but injectors never flow.

Anyone have any suggestions here? I've swapped out most electrical parts, ECU's, injectors, etc. Flywheel is also good. Wondering if something else may have fried that I'm not thinking of. What could cause the rest to work but no power to the injectors?

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

The fuel pump injectors and coil all have 12 volts when the key is on . The ecu gives them a ground to make them function. If this started right after a bar change most likely you pinched a wire in the harness . I would look right where you were pulling and prying . Maybe a bar clamp pinched a wire or the wires to the switches where they run along the bars rubbed through . Remove the zip ties and look closely . I had a fuse blow in my tailight harness from the wire that is zip tied along the subframe. It had never been touched since new . Vibrations just wore through the insulation . The bummer was it was so intermittant and only happeened when the lights were on.

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I'm an idiot and forgot about the hex code. This is a stock bike and the other ecu's are for modded machines so settings are way different. Put a different ecu on and the injectors now open and tries to fire.

However, how on earth do you upload a hex on a bike? Every time I try it'll start, say erasing flash, then a click from the relay, followed by the light on the cable going out. It'll then say send/receive error until programming fails. If I hit the starter to bring the light on there is no change. Can't seem to figure it out but that may be the whole problem. I guess I could do it on a quad that works and just set it up for the bike and swap back, but would be nice to know how to do it on the bike.

who_gives_a6

#7 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Hooked up to a quad and got it loaded and now back in the bike. Same result, but noticed something I may have missed before. When you hit the starter it will drain the fuel filter and shoot a shot back into the tank. Injectors will get a short spray as well. Then if you hold the starter the fuel will stop going through, until you release the starter button. Then it'll cycle again. That may have been it from the beginning.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

If you have to hold the start button on your bike to load a hex then you have a old harness in there.There is a update.That old style harness has fried many ECUs!

who_gives_a6

#9 Post by who_gives_a6 »

The ecu in it currently works great in a quad and no issues, but still not working in the bike. Just not understanding this issue with the pump.

What would cause it to cycle once when you hold the starter button and then stop and buzz, followed by another cycling once the start button is released? The buzzing actually sounds like it may be from something connected to the airbox but can't pinpoint it yet.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

IACV is probably whats buzzing.

I cant remember but there is something to having to hold the start button.