Thinking of getting the E back together again.

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
omegas

#1 Post by omegas »

Granted asking opinions here on whether I should get a dale back running or not is like asking a kid if he wants ice cream..
But I'll do it anyway.

I'm trying to make my mind up over getting the old dale back running again. It's an E440 with both a full set of motard and stock woods parts, motard 5th gear, fully street plated, and an ATK gone through 450 with around 10k street miles on it when the piston decided to De-Gap the spark plug on the way home from a ride. I knew the crank was blown so I just kinda shelved it and quit riding due to one reason or another. This was 3 or so years ago maybe 4, it's been awhile that's for sure.

Anyway fast forward a few years and I've got kids that are starting to ride now (5 and 7), I've snagged an 01' yz250f for cheap, picked up a toy hauler, and have been in the woods riding almost twice a month recently. Even the wife is wanting a side x side to join in the fun, thinking about a Rzr 570... Anyhow, I've got an itch to upgrade and considering selling the YZ for something else but my mind keeps trailing back (you know that feeling) to the dale sitting in the shed collecting as much dust as possible. It's a basket case for sure, but everything is there. Even the motor is still in one piece. Actually I've got two motors, the other motor is the original 432cc still running(for now) with the updated plate studs/nuts and the original crank that I'm sure is not going to last.

Maybe I'm just typing this out to talk myself into or out of it, not sure... But first things first, the motor must be addressed. What would be the best course of action to get a solid running motor that I won't have to worry too much about in the future. I'm not looking for a speed demon so no need for a 509cc Alcohol running monster, honestly the 450 was fine for what I needed. But what should be done? Send off one of the motors to a main builder on here? If so, which motor or send both and let the builder figure it out? Or should I wait for a reputable motor to pop up in the For Sale section hoping they take trades on cores? Some may suggest pulling the motor down myself and it's a good suggestion, but I just don't trust myself with that task. I'll swap a motor, but I just don't like going into them besides maybe minor things like clutches, impellers, and the plate stud kit but to go further and consider it reliable is just a hard stretch for me esp when so many on here know these motors like the back of their hands. Any thoughts/suggestions or just friendly banter is appreciated. Thanks

Oh, and if you might remember me at all, this should take you back. I know it took me back

That was right after I got it plated and the 17's/brakes installed. Wow, almost a decade ago...

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

After owning several cannondale bikes these are my observations. I would prefer to stay with a stock stroke and ASSO piston for a street driven bike. Reason being that I have had a 56hp 505 in my tard and it was just plain to much thump for driving around town. Each power hit just lurched the bike around when going slow in traffic (high gear)to the point that it was embarrasing to drive. Although on the track it was just bad arse. I would go with a 432 with a ported head so at least it will be able to push the wind at high speeds and be smooth in town. The stock engine porting just doesnt have the steam on top and you will be wringing it out . I also ditch the motard gear as they are more suited to a unported quad engine or full on race track machines. You need a tall 5th gear with the ported heads and for better fuel economy.
As far as reliability I would say it has been proven over the last decade that horsepower truly has no bearing on that. A fully updated and correctly built engine can run the same amount of hours regardless of what power its putting out.

If your original engine is still running them maybe there is a chance you will have a low dollar build. Take it apart and see. If its all good then porting , updated crank and a new ASSO piston could be had for just over a grand.

Rally2

#3 Post by Rally2 »

Sweet photos thanks for sharing! I say sell that generic dima-a-dozen jap bike and get the 'dale running for sure LOL. Maybe you could sell off the motard wheels etc to offset the cost of getting a reliable motor built?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

X3

We got the motors figured out. I have no doubt they are just as good or better than anything you could buy new. I have owned new and the two to three year rule still applies as far as overhauls in the 450 class. ALL of them. Any longer and a guy is on borrowed time. Its paid for and handling and suspension isnt that bad compared to new. For my everyday trail and Harescramble quad I am just waiting for something to go boom. Waiting and waiting and waiting. It hasnt happened. I even managed to get a spare motor on the shelf so when it does go boom its another 3-4 years of riding free. Never been in this position before. Is very good feeling. Fix it up ride the piss out of it and use $ saved to take family on some new riding trips.

omegas

#5 Post by omegas »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 21 2013, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your original engine is still running them maybe there is a chance you will have a low dollar build. Take it apart and see. If its all good then porting , updated crank and a new ASSO piston could be had for just over a grand.

I like the sound of that, simple and straight forward. Seeing as I'd have to pull the crank and head, I'll start looking for a builder to send it to. If I remember correctly, it was always a toss up between KDeal, Wistech, Timbo, plus a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head and really all just boiled down to how their schedules looked, what kind of tournaround is needed, and just over-all personal preference. Is that still the case?? I know it's hardcore riding season right now so I'm sure there's a backlog on most of you guys anyhow.

Oh and thanks for the quick reply's.

Hmm.. Seems like Wistech has plenty of time on his hands, posting those huge wall-of-text and all. Guess he's available! biggrin.gif JMWY man!

1ORMOTO

#6 Post by 1ORMOTO »

I think there is still a strong market for street legal machines. I would consider trade if I were looking to ride off road only. Robert

omegas

#7 Post by omegas »

The good thing about having a street legal bike with DOT tires is I can trail hop without worrying about getting a ticket. So there is additional value for me also.

polyesterpig

#8 Post by polyesterpig »

I have to agree with Wistech! I have the stock cranks balanced with the z400 bearing installed, asso 432 piston and gut the quick disconnects. One day I will get the porting, but I would want to get the bike dynoed when I do.

Rally2

#9 Post by Rally2 »

So if one were rebuiliding a motor would you guys say the 450 kit is worth the extra $500 in terms of power / torque curve and does it sacrifice reliability over the stock bore 432?

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Performance ported head= 10hp for $425 Thats $42.5 per horse
Big bore piston 460cc = Around 3 to 4 hp for $450 Thats $112.5 per horse.

Like I said there is no reliabilty sacrifice anyhwere on a fully updated and properly built/speced Dale engine so I dont use that as a factor . These are not japanese engines . I would focus on having the best cams,springs,buckets money wise than trying for that few extra ponies. For sustained road miles thats important.