street legal

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
PAdalerider

#1 Post by PAdalerider »

Can all of the dale motorcycles with titles potentially become street legal? I really want a dale supermoto and if I cant find one and have to build it myself so be it. Just deff want it street legal though

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (PAdalerider @ May 13 2013, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can all of the dale motorcycles with titles potentially become street legal? I really want a dale supermoto and if I cant find one and have to build it myself so be it. Just deff want it street legal though

It depends on your state laws and if there is a title with the bike. I think they were sold with a certificate of origin but I'm not sure if some states issued titles for them. If they did, they were mostly noted as offroad use only.

If titles were issued with any of the bikes, they would not be a MC title. The S440 model was meant for supermoto racing.

BTW, there is one for sale near Nashville, TN right now for $3300 on craigslist.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

As said, it varies by state. But in California the DMV gave me this info when registering each of mine:

If the bike has been titled for dirt it cannot become street legal again. During the initial title request certain models can be made street legal. (Spark arrestor exhaust mainly) When I bought my first E440 it came with the certificate of origin and was never titled. This allowed it to be made street legal per DMV system in California.

Check with your state's DMV and see what stipulations they have on the matter.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

My states biggest hangup was having a federal emisions sticker which there is no such thing on any dale. That is what they use to get the VIN in the national database as a street legal machine. I scooted around this on my first bike before they made a big deal about it . The second bike they said no way. In order to get around that I would have had to register it as a custom home made motorcycle . I guess it could be done if you have the time to jump through the hoops.