Engine will not turn over and oil filled cylinder

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
stevemuch

#1 Post by stevemuch »

I have a 2003 X440 motorcycle that has not been started in a few years. I bought a new battery and tried to start the bike. It will not crank only injectors kick in. Took off the spark plug and looked down to see oil at top of opening. I put the bike in 5th and when I pushed the bike oil shot up about a few feet. It ran the last time I shut it down so I have no idea why the filled oil in the cylinder. I guess this is a major job. Does anyone know if it would be worth trying to fix it. Only have small amount of hours riding on it. Thanks

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

This can be a typical Cannondale issue, especially when they have sat a long time. Leave the spark plug out and put a rag over the hole and crank the motor over several revolutions. Put the plug back in and fire her up. No harm done. There is some debate what causes the dreaded oil hydro lock, but it seems to revolve around the oil pump or the valve seals depending on who you talk to. Nothing is damaged and the bike should run fine, but a permanent solution would be to go thru the motor and due some updates.

Good luck.

stevemuch

#3 Post by stevemuch »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 8 2013, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This can be a typical Cannondale issue, especially when they have sat a long time. Leave the spark plug out and put a rag over the hole and crank the motor over several revolutions. Put the plug back in and fire her up. No harm done. There is some debate what causes the dreaded oil hydro lock, but it seems to revolve around the oil pump or the valve seals depending on who you talk to. Nothing is damaged and the bike should run fine, but a permanent solution would be to go thru the motor and due some updates.

Good luck.

Thanks for information when I turned the engine by putting the transmission in 5th it shot up 3 times but I will try till no more oil comes out. It looks like I will have to add oil before I start up as the window looks clear. When you say go thru the motor for updates what exactly would that envolve. Thanks again for reply.

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

Drain the sump on the engine... the small plug in front of the bigger one on the right side into a clean container and pour it back into the frame along with enough oil to put it back in the sight glass but do not overfill. That might be what let too much drain past the check valve or oil pump. No harm and this is fairly common after sitting a long time or overfilling.

stevemuch

#5 Post by stevemuch »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Jun 9 2013, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drain the sump on the engine... the small plug in front of the bigger one on the right side into a clean container and pour it back into the frame along with enough oil to put it back in the sight glass but do not overfill. That might be what let too much drain past the check valve or oil pump. No harm and this is fairly common after sitting a long time or overfilling.

stevemuch

#6 Post by stevemuch »

Thanks as I drained the sump and after a number of cranks it seems like the oil if finally out of the cylinder. It did shoot up all over me a few times but all is good. I will wait a few days to let the oil settle and then refill and I will make sure I do not over fill. Thanks for the information as I would have never thought the engine was ok. Hopefully it will fire up.