Bike triple clamp offset

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
funmachines

#1 Post by funmachines »

Does anybody know the triple clamp offset? I have an adjustable set that fits a crf450 honda and also my e440 and I want to see what setting to try first. Hopefully it can help the turnng a little without losing too much of the stability that Dales have.

Thanks

funmachines

#2 Post by funmachines »

I answered my own question - Cannondale triple clamps are identical to 02 and 03 CRF450 and have an offset of 24 mm. I'm trying a 2008 adjustable with 20 and 22 mm offset. I'm trying it tomorrow at Hollister with 20 mm and I'll see how it works.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

Is the CRF clamps oem or aftermarket? I am curious as to how well it works.

funmachines

#4 Post by funmachines »

the 20 mm triples did helpturning on tight single track. I didn't get up above 40 or so but no headshake. I had to move the fender mounting a little but that was about it. I'm going to leave it. Now if there was just a way to lose 20 lbs... A shorai battery saves about 4 lbs though so it's my next change.

Adjustable triples were aftermarket. Even the bearings were identical. If you do this mod make sure yiou get the nuts that thread onto the triple - they are different thread than the Cannondale.

Fun riding it today.

funmachines

#5 Post by funmachines »

I wanted to see what my different bikes weigh so I used a high quality bathroom scale, leveled everything out and made some simple ramps. I weighed everything for real - with fuel full and oil. The numbers surprised me. The Cannondale with a full tank of gas was 297 lbs - wow. The gasgas 200 enduro was 267 (but feels much lighter than that compared to the Cannondale). It has the weight much lower. And my old gasgas trials bike was 187.4 lbs. Now I see why the Dale feels a bit sluggish on really tight singletrack. Feels great in the wide open, on rocky trails and has lots of power even at higher elevation. Still a fun bike.

polyesterpig

#6 Post by polyesterpig »

I would weigh the bikes with the fluids full and the gas tanks with 1 gallon of gas. Some mx bikes only carry 1 gallon of gas and the cannondale carries 2.3 gallons. Not really fair to penalize bikes with larger tanks. FYI 2.3 gallons of gas weighs approx 15 lbs. yes the cannondales are still heavy partly due to the electric start system. When comparing weight, compare them to electric start bikes. The Honda electric start crf450x weighs 40 lbs heavier than the MX kickstart crf450r. Yep 40 lbs! The starter motor and battery are the biggest weight additions.

exotic rider

#7 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (polyesterpig @ Jul 30 2013, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would weigh the bikes with the fluids full and the gas tanks with 1 gallon of gas. Some mx bikes only carry 1 gallon of gas and the cannondale carries 2.3 gallons. Not really fair to penalize bikes with larger tanks. FYI 2.3 gallons of gas weighs approx 15 lbs. yes the cannondales are still heavy partly due to the electric start system. When comparing weight, compare them to electric start bikes. The Honda electric start crf450x weighs 40 lbs heavier than the MX kickstart crf450r. Yep 40 lbs! The starter motor and battery are the biggest weight additions.

i have not had a chance to do any tight single trak yet but i will say even with the stock suspension the dale handles awesome! i came off a rotax atk and if you think the dale is heavy that bike is 282 before adding three gallons of fuel! so i feel like im riding a feathery xtra powerful 125.

funmachines

#8 Post by funmachines »

I had an ATK 605 too. I loved the bottom end the Rotax motor had.

I like Cannondales and will never sell my E440. I wish they were a bit lighter, but still a great bike. I was just surprised how much it weighed since it definitely rides lighter than that. I expected 280 or so.

exotic rider

#9 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (funmachines @ Jul 31 2013, 05:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had an ATK 605 too. I loved the bottom end the Rotax motor had.

I like Cannondales and will never sell my E440. I wish they were a bit lighter, but still a great bike. I was just surprised how much it weighed since it definitely rides lighter than that. I expected 280 or so.

i miss that roll on low end too,but the rest of my ride on the dale is noticably easier over the course of the ride and the dale has that excitment factor!

bigfoot17

#10 Post by bigfoot17 »

I miss the roll on low of many other bikes I have had. Hoping someone at the get together can help with that. As far as weight goes. I weigh more than my dale. I bet it wishes I would lose. Maybe that is why it keeps trying to throw me.
My favorite single track bike was a KDX220.
As far as suspension. I still wish it was a bit softer for tight woods. I will play with that some more. Too much deflection with rocks and roots,even with my weight.