Starting x440?

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
B S

#11 Post by B S »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Oct 19 2013, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stupid question, have you verified spark? It sounds like it is not firing . If you have not done it yet try taking the plug out and hook it up and ground it to the frame and hit the button you should have blue spark . Just making suggestions.

Yes I have spark

Just pulled it again and it's a nice spark every rotation doesn't miss one

New battery fully charged

I'm not gonna work on it for a couple of days
It's extremely irritating me right now

Does the little hose going to the ecu make any diffrence? It's pretty much rotted away
Where did it go ?

I can find a manual for this bike or any bike for that matter
Just the engine and quad one I can find

exotic rider

#12 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (B S @ Oct 20 2013, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I have spark

Just pulled it again and it's a nice spark every rotation doesn't miss one

New battery fully charged

I'm not gonna work on it for a couple of days
It's extremely irritating me right now

Does the little hose going to the ecu make any diffrence? It's pretty much rotted away
Where did it go ?

I can find a manual for this bike or any bike for that matter
Just the engine and quad one I can find

I'm pretty sure the manuals are available on this site, have you verified fuel spray from your injectors? My bike did not want to start afyer rebuild and my injectors were "frozen", I removed them and soaked overnight in diesel fuel and they have been fine since.it can be frustrating , just gotta stay focused on the basics. What about can timing? If that is not set right it can cause all kinds of issues starting and major damage if 180 degrees off at tdc.

exotic rider

#13 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Oct 20 2013, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the manuals are available on this site, have you verified fuel spray from your injectors? My bike did not want to start afyer rebuild and my injectors were "frozen", I removed them and soaked overnight in diesel fuel and they have been fine since.it can be frustrating , just gotta stay focused on the basics. What about can timing? If that is not set right it can cause all kinds of issues starting and major damage if 180 degrees off at tdc.

Cam timing would of course only be off if motor was torn down recently . As far as the vaccum hose it goes from the ecu to the pressure reg ( fuel) , I t does seem like its not getting fuel to combust based on what info your giving us.

B S

#14 Post by B S »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Oct 20 2013, 05:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cam timing would of course only be off if motor was torn down recently . As far as the vaccum hose it goes from the ecu to the pressure reg ( fuel) , I t does seem like its not getting fuel to combust based on what info your giving us.

the cam timing is set right checked it 3 times before i put the covers back on

its getting fuel

like i said before i have had it running but really crappy wouldn't idle

thinking the injectors aren't spraying right or not misting correctly

exotic rider

#15 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (B S @ Oct 20 2013, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the cam timing is set right checked it 3 times before i put the covers back on

its getting fuel

like i said before i have had it running but really crappy wouldn't idle

thinking the injectors aren't spraying right or not misting correctly

If you have fuel cycling through the filter and return to the tank then it would leave only stu k injectors As you suggested, have you verified compression ? Maybe a long shot but I've seen it happen on other machines , the rings ends lining up can cause compression loss,.

B S

#16 Post by B S »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Oct 21 2013, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have fuel cycling through the filter and return to the tank then it would leave only stu k injectors As you suggested, have you verified compression ? Maybe a long shot but I've seen it happen on other machines , the rings ends lining up can cause compression loss,.

Just removed the injectors and soaked them in deisel for the night to rule that out
Compression was 145 ish

B S

#17 Post by B S »

QUOTE (B S @ Oct 21 2013, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just removed the injectors and soaked them in deisel for the night to rule that out
Compression was 145 ish

Well found the problem and not happy with it mad.gif

I have a problem with the ECM
The right injector lead is on full blast all of the time
The left works fine

at least i found out the idle control circuit is working properly
Will post the videos shortly

And yes I swapped the injectors to make sure it wasn't an injector acting up wink.gif

Are all the ECM's the same with these 440?
There's a lot on eBay for $85 shipped

Attached a photo

B S

#18 Post by B S »

QUOTE (B S @ Oct 22 2013, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well found the problem and not happy with it mad.gif

I have a problem with the ECM
The right injector lead is on full blast all of the time
The left works fine
Will post the videos shortly

And yes I swapped the injectors to make sure it wasn't an injector acting up wink.gif

Are all the ECM's the same with these 440?
There's a lot on eBay for $85 shipped

Attached a photo

here is the video sorry there crapy
the right side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuC4ETDmKXA

the same injector on the left wiring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Qz1-0ygyI

funmachines

#19 Post by funmachines »

All the later ECU's are the same, but have different fuel injection maps loaded depending on the bike or quad they were in. I assume you do not have the D&M software for a laptop. That allows you to do a lot of diagnostics, load different fuel injection maps, reset throttle position, etc. Worth having and you can get one from Dave (boomer). If you don't want to get one you can probably get someone on the forum to load your choice of maps into an ECU or buy an ECU from a bike that has the map you want.

Don't give up - you are close. For sure replace all the old hoses though.

B S

#20 Post by B S »

QUOTE (funmachines @ Oct 22 2013, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the later ECU's are the same, but have different fuel injection maps loaded depending on the bike or quad they were in. I assume you do not have the D&M software for a laptop. That allows you to do a lot of diagnostics, load different fuel injection maps, reset throttle position, etc. Worth having and you can get one from Dave (boomer). If you don't want to get one you can probably get someone on the forum to load your choice of maps into an ECU or buy an ECU from a bike that has the map you want.

Don't give up - you are close. For sure replace all the old hoses though.

the hoses are the last thing on my list until its running i wont bother with throwing more $$$ at it