In the market

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
NHRAFreak92

#1 Post by NHRAFreak92 »

What's up Guys I'm in the market for a dale bike I have a blaze and a cannibal in storage , I ride alot of street now on a cbr 600 .. I'm sick of street bikes and want a on road off road bike or a super moto, already being into dales, I want one for the street I'm in nj I don't know the laws and I'm not to clear on the cannondale bikes meaning models, their differences, and purposes being said are there any that where sold as street bikes? If so I am in the market .. I have a cr250 and there's no way to tile it for the street up here so I hope there's a way to get a dale on road

Thanks!

Lou

omegas

#2 Post by omegas »

There were 6 bikes

X440 - Motocross - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel tank - 19" rear tire
C440 - Crosscountry - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel tank?? (not sure on this one) - 18" rear tire
E440 - Cheap Enduro - Marzocchi shiver FR / Ohlins RR - Large Fuel tank - 18" rear tire - Bark Busters - Head light and Rear Tail light
E440r - Higher end Enduro - Ohlins FR/RR - Large Fuel tank - 18" rear tire - Bark Busters - Head light and Rear Tail light
S440 - Supermotard - Ohlins FR/RR cut down for motard use - 17" Rims front and back with 320mm brake kit - Small fuel tank
X440s - Original bike that became the X440. Used a different frame than any other bike.

Each one had slightly different valving and spring rates

I plated an E440 in Louisiana just by walking in to the DMV with the title. From what I remember the title I was given did not have "Off Road Use Only" written on it so that gave me a plate no questions asked. I put everything on it to be street legal down here. (brake light/DOT Headlight/DOT Tires/Mirror)

I would try to find one that was either already plated or start with an E440 or E440r. Hopefully then you won't have to worry about any additional paperwork.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

QUOTE (omegas @ Dec 9 2013, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2001 MX400 (1st. production bike) - Motocross - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel Tank - 19" Rear Wheel - Manual clutch

2002 X440S - Motocross - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel Tank - 19" Rear Wheel - Manual Clutch (Sold as entry price level bike that was derived from the original first offered production 2001 MX400 but was the same bike with a few updates, like S1000 fuel injection system, change in color scheme, different rear number plates, and as with the '01 MX400 used a different frame, subframe, tank, seat, radiator and plastics than any other of the newer NEW BREED models in minor details below)

The NEW BREED of '02-'03 models what i call the "E" framed Bikes...lots of major changes on chassis and some engine related:

2002 C440 - Crosscountry - Ohlins FR/RR - Large Fuel tank - 18" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch (Most was lighting capable but came w/o headlight and taillight)

2002 E440 - Enduro - Ohlins FR/RR - Large Fuel tank - 18" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch - Bark Busters - Headlight and Rear Taillight

2002 X440 - Motocross - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel Tank - 19" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch

2003 C440R - Crosscountry - Ohlins FR/RR - Large Fuel tank - 18" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch (Most was lighting capable but came w/o headlight and taillight)

2003 E440 - Enduro - Marzocchi Shiver FR forks - Ohlins RR shock - Large Fuel tank - 18" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch - Bark Busters - Headlight and Rear Taillight (Yes, i know in '03 it was advertised with Marzocchi front, but some of them i got in had Marzocchi's on the front!, but some did come with Ohlins front!? but it was right at the end and using what parts they had left from being cut-off by suppliers in the end!)

2003 E440R - Enduro - Ohlins FR/RR - Large Fuel tank - 18" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch - Bark Busters - Headlight and Rear Taillight (Yes, i know in '03 it was advertised with Ohlins front, but some of them i got in had Ohlins on the front!, but some did come with Marzocchi front!? but it was right at the end and using parts they had left from being cut-off by suppliers in the end!)

2003 E440A - Enduro - Marzocchi Shiver FR Forks - Ohlins RR shock - Large fuel tank - 18" Rear Wheel - Automatic Revloc Clutch System - Barkbusters - headlight & Rear taillight (But the one i got had Ohlins front forks on it!, Note: also very rare bike where only a few made it out the door before the end!)

2003 X440 - Motocross - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel Tank - 19" Rear Wheel - Hydro Clutch

2003 S440 - SuperMoto - Ohlins FR/RR - Small Fuel Tank - 17" Front and Rear Wheels - Hydro Clutch - Diff. 5th Gear Ratio - OS Front Brake - HandGuards - Etc! ...."ONE BAD &*^ BIKE!"

Not to try to correct you in anyway Omegas, but just to clarify Some of the model even more from what i know from being a dealer then and enthusiast since the begining! wink.gif ...and again that and .50 cents want even buy me a good cup of coffee! ohmy.gif , to much stuff was happening at the end of Cannondale to be set in stone or precise!

omegas

#4 Post by omegas »

LOL, can't believe I forgot about the MX400...

But ya if you're wanting to use the bike often, I'd stay away from the X440s. Too many one off parts on that thing!

promod

#5 Post by promod »

QUOTE (omegas @ Dec 9 2013, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, can't believe I forgot about the MX400...

But ya if you're wanting to use the bike often, I'd stay away from the X440s. Too many one off parts on that thing!

I agree in a lot of ways on that, but there is a lot of parts still out there for the '01 MX400 & '02 X440S, But the "E" framed bikes (including in that the C/X/S440's which i still call a "E" framed bike although dont start off with a E designation on model number, its from the '02 E440 as being the first production run of the new breed designed bikes...hence "E" framed name) was a better designed, handling and looking bike with a lot more interchangablility on parts!, I did revise my post reply on this on a few other models you mentioned in details and added all bike models with breif info, so in reality there was 11 models from '01-'03 for the USA!.... and even another model called the E440S (or aka E440EU) that was a street legal dual sport for the Euro market!

omegas

#6 Post by omegas »

Ya the E440A's where so limited that even the S's had more availability. Would love to find a Revloc for me E440 though, would make woods riding almost as easy as my RZR.

So if the Ohlins wasn't it, what was the difference between the E440 and E440R besides the red color scheme instead of yellow??? I had always seen the E440 with the shivers and the E440R with Ohlins.

And I love how the Euro market got the dual sport... WTF?

promod

#7 Post by promod »

QUOTE (omegas @ Dec 9 2013, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya the E440A's where so limited that even the S's had more availability. Would love to find a Revloc for me E440 though, would make woods riding almost as easy as my RZR.

So if the Ohlins wasn't it, what was the difference between the E440 and E440R besides the red color scheme instead of yellow??? I had always seen the E440 with the shivers and the E440R with Ohlins.

And I love how the Euro market got the dual sport... WTF?

Well, Glad this topic came up!

Got me thinking and remembering...and made me dig out my old dealership invoices on the last two batches of '03 bikes i got in which included E440R's and E440's, first would like to say some correction here on my part and on the details of the bikes, yes i know the '03 E440 according to brochure and new bike dealer sales pre-info (which was kinda contradicting to brochure)...On the brochure the '03 E440 was going to be yellow/black/silver color scheme with the cheaper cost 45mm Marzocchi front forks according to dealer price lists and pre-info to lower price to retail $7295.00, the E440R was going to be in the red/black/silver color scheme and remain with the higher cost 46mm Ohlins front forks at retail $8195.00.....hence the higher end model!

Fist thing, i never got in any '03 E440's or '03 E440R's in a yellow/black/silver color scheme, The only bike i got in that Y/B/S color scheme was one of the VERY few E440A's (Revloc) which i still have today (along with a extra complete Revloc set up for future use!....thought i would excite you a little there! LOL!), but as was told on that situation by my 4th. drop-in at store type C'Dale rep (which wont mention his name...as this thing has already made me upset again...about this and along with other things he did or didnt do!) is that the Y/B/S color graphics and seat covers were on used up and more was on back-order from vendor, so to keep supply of anticipated and waiting dealers happy and bikes moving they used the R/B/S stuff to get them out the door on both models!, and then the same reason about the 'Zoke forks was that a large shipment was being waited on from Italy so was using what 'Zoke's they had and then building both models with either stock they had as they still had some Ohlins on hand although again more Ohlins supply were also back-ordered as i was told!

But, here is my opinion and answer on all this and as we all know what was really going on as the truth!, as we all know the '03 models were really for the new year models late arrivals to most dealers to begin with!, due as we all know the fact that they were going down!, Ohlins had already shut them off on supply due to account reasons as many other vendors had, Cdale was having to go to other vendors for things like Marzocchi who was happy to supply and sell forks as they had just came out with there new Shiver and it really was and is a good set of forks, as have dealt with 'Zoke's on my other Italian brand bikes so knew the fork company and the forks, Cycra was another source that until paid up, supply stopped, bill caught up, shipping begins again...case with others also!, So again in reality C'Dale was using what they had and what was trickling in from sources they could get from and keep proimising...checks in the mail! LOL!, So again thats why i ended up with some E440's with Ohlins and some with 'Zoke's and the same being on the E440R's which i also knew other dealers were also getting in the same mix-matched version of the same bikes, and same with the C440R models!, And had 2 E440's that came in that were C's with light added to them at the E's price but on CO had E440 model with C Vin and on bikes....another story!, And if you remember right after the big sale of everything, parts that hit there warehouse in large quantities right before the lock down and before they got to use them on the bikes were later for sale flooding out from everywhere...mainly large amounts of Marzocchi forks, Ohlins rear shocks and a lot of Yellow/Black/Silver decals and seats to name a few....and theres still a large amount of new Y/B/S seats and other parts out there today...sitting in liquidation warehouses in limbo...popping up every now and then!, And yes i snatched up a bunch of those 'Zoke forks and other great parts for a little bit of nothing back in those days!

But as my life never ends in finding out things or on something that always seems to cost me money....and knew then also....but was promised credit and things to make up for it!, to make a long story short, all in all by looking and doing the math from the invoices on the E440,E440R,C440R's i recieved, C'Dale cost me aprx. $2112 (Hey! great Rush album!) on bikes that should have came with the Ohlins forks!.....but whats that little amount compared to how much i lost overall.....my dealership and almost my home and everything!, but i look on the bright side of it C'Dale was there for me when they had the power and after that did end up with some cool bikes and stuff at there expense...somehow....or did i?!....and people still ask...after all that why? my reply!...quoting one of another brands slogans: "If i had to explain ..you wouldnt understand" LOL!

Or my personal favorite inspirational quote, live by motto thing i keep in mind on playing with these bikes im the pursuit of keeping them alive and making them better still is:

???It???s been said that science fiction and fantasy are two different things: science fiction: the improbable made possible; fantasy: the impossible made probable?????? ~ Rod Serling, The Twilight Zone