X440 Front Brake Rotor

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
dkdoug08

#1 Post by dkdoug08 »

[attachment=13023:Brake_Disc.jpg]Trying to upgrade my front rotor. The 2003 X440, and an extra front wheel I have both have 6 evenly spaced mounting bolts. My son has a 2007, and 2008 Honda CRF450R. They both have 6 mounting bolts in a 2,2,2 configuration. (PIC Attached). They will in NO WAY interchange. However every aftermarket rotor you find for sale advertised to fit the Cannondale, the application chart is also shown it fits the Honda's? And they show the 2,2,2 configuration. Anybody know what's up with this?

I know the triple clamps are supposedly the early Honda style, but the wheels aren't unless I have two (2) incorrect wheels. I don't think so as all of the bikes pics I see seem to have the same front wheels as mine.

Also, would be nice to have an oversized rotor setup as the stock setup is lacking compared to the Honda's. I have seen an oversized rotor advertised, but cant find the Caliper Adapter bracket.

promod

#2 Post by promod »

QUOTE (dkdoug08 @ Feb 14 2014, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=13023:Brake_Disc.jpg]Trying to upgrade my front rotor. The 2003 X440, and an extra front wheel I have both have 6 evenly spaced mounting bolts. My son has a 2007, and 2008 Honda CRF450R. They both have 6 mounting bolts in a 2,2,2 configuration. (PIC Attached). They will in NO WAY interchange. However every aftermarket rotor you find for sale advertised to fit the Cannondale, the application chart is also shown it fits the Honda's? And they show the 2,2,2 configuration. Anybody know what's up with this?

I know the triple clamps are supposedly the early Honda style, but the wheels aren't unless I have two (2) incorrect wheels. I don't think so as all of the bikes pics I see seem to have the same front wheels as mine.

Also, would be nice to have an oversized rotor setup as the stock setup is lacking compared to the Honda's. I have seen an oversized rotor advertised, but cant find the Caliper Adapter bracket.

I have used non-wave type stainless oversized 260mm front brake rotors on all my C'Dales since day one with the proper caliper relocation bracket (stock rotor size is 240mm), I use the Italian BRAKING brand, The rotor is made for a Suzuki and the caliper relocation mounting bracket is made for a Honda...all perfect fit with no-modification needed...plug-n-play! They were sent to me by C'Dale back in the day, Think i have a few sets left so will get the part number and model and year application info from the packages for you next trip to shop!, All years and models of the C'Dales (of course except Motard) had same 21" front wheel assembly (and hub with 6 evenly spaced rotor mounting holes) and same back wheel assembly and hubs (except some were 19" and some were 18" rim size depending on model (again except Motard))! wink.gif

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

This is a front Cannondale hub....

[attachment=13024:100_0532.JPG]
[attachment=13025:Front_Hub.jpg]

polyesterpig

#4 Post by polyesterpig »

The Yzf426 Yamaha rotor fits the cannondale front hub. If you are converting to supermoto with a 320mm front rotor, you will need an early crf450 (2002-2003) supermoto brake caliper relocating bracket. You will also need the supermoto axle spacers instead of the standard ones. (Simple to have machined) On the rear hub the sprocket is a Honda cr. Hope this helps.

promod

#5 Post by promod »

QUOTE (polyesterpig @ Feb 15 2014, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Yzf426 Yamaha rotor fits the cannondale front hub.

I have heard that also but never tried, could be same as Suzuki pattern i use for oversized, But for my notes do you know what years YZF426 or all i guess..could check all years part numbers i guess but any change like rotor mm size or even on finish affects Yamaha's part numbers, and also do you know what mm the rotor is? im guessing your talking a good for stock replacement for a C'Dale 240mm? or is it also oversized? huh.gif

polyesterpig

#6 Post by polyesterpig »

All years for the Yamaha Yzf426. Don't know about the yzf450's, never tried. When we were converting cannondale 440 bikes to motards, we would use the yzf426 bolt pattern for the 320mm oversized rotors & the Honda caliper relocating brackets. Fit like a charm. Of course I ended up going to the extreme with the ohlins FG 661 motard forks...

dkdoug08

#7 Post by dkdoug08 »

Would like oversized. The 'Dale outweighs the Honda by 20lbs or more, and i'm certainly no pro racer, but the oversize on the CRF will put you over the bars, while the dale I can squeeze about till it flexes to the handlebar. If PROMOD has the part numbers/applications it would be awesome. Thanks for the responses. I know the dales are bad-mouthed, and considerably more complicated than the CRF's, but it's a pretty cool machine if your willing to work with it.

promod

#8 Post by promod »

QUOTE (dkdoug08 @ Feb 16 2014, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would like oversized. The 'Dale outweighs the Honda by 20lbs or more, and i'm certainly no pro racer, but the oversize on the CRF will put you over the bars, while the dale I can squeeze about till it flexes to the handlebar. If PROMOD has the part numbers/applications it would be awesome. Thanks for the responses. I know the dales are bad-mouthed, and considerably more complicated than the CRF's, but it's a pretty cool machine if your willing to work with it.

Hi dkdoug08!

Ok, Like i said i use the Italian made BRAKING brand parts, i believe they are owned and imported by Sunstar now (The same company that supplied C'dale there stock oem rotors!), Straight off the Braking boxes here is what i use, the oversize stainless steel front brake disc is a 260mm (verses 240mm stock) round with of course many vent holes style, it is not Wave style, although wave is available, but i have always had better luck with pad life and stopping power using regular round disc...just my opinion from use on both on and off-road bikes, but again just my opinion only!, and yes wave rotors are sweet looking i do agree on that, and if i could find a rear wave rotor to fit a C'Dale bike i would own a set of both front and rear for one of my Dale bikes!, but i do also own other brand bikes with waves on them!) , but wave style fronts can be obtained!, The part number for the disc i use is SZ01FIOW, it again is 260mm outside diameter, has a 118mm inside diameter center hole, 3mm thick, total of 6 mounting holes with 6.5mm holes on a 134mm bolt pattern! The application for this disc fits many models, box states Suzuki RM Yamaha YZ with no years indicated, But going by my old info and web search it fits MANY years and models of those brands, so instead of typing all that out here is a link to a wave style 260mm version on Braking's website, i could no longer find the regular version like i use anymore on there site, as im sure the Waves out sell the rounds, But anyway it will give you all the info you need to and will show you all years and models of bikes that it will fit, but remember just pick a model from that list and search and keep clicking on those sizes and you can see different styles you can get, and even stock sizes for those bikes plus even larger sizes, but you will have to use the right caliper relocation bracket if you go beyond this 260mm diameter, but here is the rotor that will fit link:

http://www.braking.com/catalogue/dettaglio...icolo=SZ01FLOWD

Ok, The Caliper mounting bracket i use is POW02, it states on box it fits a Honda CR-XR, but no other info on years, so again here is link to that bracket which again will show you all the info you need for getting the right bracket if you go with what i did and thats with a 260mm disc, wave or round wont matter..its still a 260mm disc!, but if you go beyond 260mm you will need another model bracket, which search if you do that as this link and application will help you:

http://www.braking.com/catalogue/dettaglio..._articolo=POW02

Here also is Braking's home page will will get you to search links etc....:

http://www.braking.com/

The Braking website and there catalogs have always been difficult to figure things out right off...but play and you will understand and find, And im sure you will find what your looking for, if not let me know!, Also on a note Braking was about the first company to come out with replacement trick rotors and oversized kits, calipers and such, and was always high priced...but outstanding great quality! but now there are many cheaper companies that offer them, Sunstar since now they import and i think might even own braking would be a great place to call or whatever to get these or there own versions a lot cheaper than the Braking brand items!, and of course since you will find out what there for and model fitment theres Ebay and whatever on-line options for your search!

On a note i have and use on all my C'Dale's a Yamaha i think '03 (have notes here somewhere on it!) YZ/WR Nissin front master cylinder as its got a front mounted brake line banjo setup as back mounted caused me some bar issues and other things i have on rotating master cylinder to my preferance and controls, plus it has a better pivot lever ratio system for better feel...just my opinion only on that use!

But anyway hope this info helps! Ciao!, Mike

dkdoug08

#9 Post by dkdoug08 »

Mike, (promod), thanks for your info. Found what i need on ebay and have it coming already. As to the back rotor, I sent the info to BRAKING and found that Honda rear rotor HO02RI will fit except rather than the 8mm countersunk holes in the rotor the 'Dale uses, it has 10mm counterbored holes. Braking only offers this in the round drilled rotor, but I found rotors to fit the same applications, round and wavy styles, just not Braking brand on ebay for as low as $49.95. Maybe we could make some stepped washers to fit the rotor's counterbored holes and then use 8mm bolts. If you go to the BRAKING catalog you directed me to, put the HO02RI in and hit "Find", there are probably 30 Honda models this rotor fits.

Thanks again for your responses

promod

#10 Post by promod »

QUOTE (dkdoug08 @ Feb 21 2014, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mike, (promod), thanks for your info. Found what i need on ebay and have it coming already. As to the back rotor, I sent the info to BRAKING and found that Honda rear rotor HO02RI will fit except rather than the 8mm countersunk holes in the rotor the 'Dale uses, it has 10mm counterbored holes. Braking only offers this in the round drilled rotor, but I found rotors to fit the same applications, round and wavy styles, just not Braking brand on ebay for as low as $49.95. Maybe we could make some stepped washers to fit the rotor's counterbored holes and then use 8mm bolts. If you go to the BRAKING catalog you directed me to, put the HO02RI in and hit "Find", there are probably 30 Honda models this rotor fits.

Thanks again for your responses

My pleasure!, Thats what we are all here for on this forum to help our C'Dale brothers out....as we are all we have for info like this to share! wink.gif

Thanx for the rear brake rotor info...never did any research on it...but now i have a starting point thanks to you! And i believe we can cure that 10mm vs. 8mm issue on them with a little machining on my lathe!

Which brand and front rotor and bracket did you go with and size? 260mm or 270mm? wave or round?..just curious! huh.gif