New owner

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
RickC

#1 Post by RickC »

I picked up a very decent 06' XC450 for $750; not a scratch on her, but not started in 3 years. I took the risk because I run a motorcycle dealer service dept. and I did plenty of research on the Cannondale/ATK saga before I decided to buy.
The PO assured me the only reason he parked it was due to a dead fuel pump, and then he lost interest. Anyway, I got it to a point where I can try to start it, but it still refuses to light up. Good spark, plenty of air, and...oh wait! NO COMPRESSION!!!
Not even 30lbs on my gauge--some oil dropped down the bore gave me a few more and the engine coughed twice trying to light up.
I'll be checking out the valves today, but I can't believe I'm missing 90lbs of compression due to valves. Rings stuck, maybe?
I'll pull the guts out of the engine if I have to, but here's 2 questions:
-The bike looks hardly used--a 'no compression' issue is not what I expected; what are the chances of the rings being stuck?

-If there is wear to the cylinder, what options do I have to replace it?

Update: I removed the piston and liner expecting to see some damage, but they look great. Cam lobes are still dark and show no wear. I'm beginning to thing the auto decompressor was stuck and emptying the cylinder...
RickC

exotic rider

#2 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (RickC @ Mar 5 2014, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked up a very decent 06' XC450 for $750; not a scratch on her, but not started in 3 years. I took the risk because I run a motorcycle dealer service dept. and I did plenty of research on the Cannondale/ATK saga before I decided to buy.
The PO assured me the only reason he parked it was due to a dead fuel pump, and then he lost interest. Anyway, I got it to a point where I can try to start it, but it still refuses to light up. Good spark, plenty of air, and...oh wait! NO COMPRESSION!!!
Not even 30lbs on my gauge--some oil dropped down the bore gave me a few more and the engine coughed twice trying to light up.
I'll be checking out the valves today, but I can't believe I'm missing 90lbs of compression due to valves. Rings stuck, maybe?
I'll pull the guts out of the engine if I have to, but here's 2 questions:
-The bike looks hardly used--a 'no compression' issue is not what I expected; what are the chances of the rings being stuck?

-If there is wear to the cylinder, what options do I have to replace it?

Update: I removed the piston and liner expecting to see some damage, but they look great. Cam lobes are still dark and show no wear. I'm beginning to thing the auto decompressor was stuck and emptying the cylinder...
RickC

If you're torn down that far I would consider checking the crank,its a known wear item if it had not been updated,there are threads on here about the cranks,did you "measure ring gap in multiple locations on the cylinder,cylinders are tapered and may look good to the eye but be out of spec,

exotic rider

#3 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 5 2014, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're torn down that far I would consider checking the crank,its a known wear item if it had not been updated,there are threads on here about the cranks,did you "measure ring gap in multiple locations on the cylinder,cylinders are tapered and may look good to the eye but be out of spec,

Just wanted to say ,I am happy that the rude post was removed,this forum is susposed to be here to help one another out not be rude or make ignorant comments signaling others out.

RickC

#4 Post by RickC »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 5 2014, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do have the engine down to the bare case right now, and have mic'd the cylinder, piston and rings. Everything so far is within specs with little to no measurable wear; next week the crank assy is going out for the bearing upgrade and other needed work. I have another thread in the R&D section asking about individual internal upgrades, so I think I will continue the thread there since it is more engine specific.
Thanks for the replies here, though.

RickC

PS- I'm glad the Moderator took the time to remove the earlier 'non-constructive' comment; I read it at work and really had to force myself not to answer the way I normally would have had he/she said it to me in person...

promod

#5 Post by promod »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 6 2014, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to say ,I am happy that the rude post was removed,this forum is susposed to be here to help one another out not be rude or make ignorant comments signaling others out.

I agree 100% E-Rider!, That was very un-called for and almost commented at that remark, but kept my cool and just ignored it...as that would have just stirred the pot more...like you pretty well said...thats not what we are all here for or about!

exotic rider

#6 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (promod @ Mar 7 2014, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree 100% E-Rider!, That was very un-called for and almost commented at that remark, but kept my cool and just ignored it...as that would have just stirred the pot more...like you pretty well said...thats not what we are all here for or about!

Im glad yourself and others on here see that,its a overwhelming thing to take on,(cannondale repair) I myself come from a dealership background and had some issues troble shooting- to my luck wistech stepped up and offered a hand- he talked to me on the phone more than once for a hour or better and flooded my brain w c dale info,it was detrimental in getting it right. I also sent a ecm to him to reprogram,he sent me two back to choose from w different calibration- to me thats a real person and a friend,I truly hope the person responsible for the rude commentary gets the chance to see and feel what helping someone that may need it can do - especially in this small c dale community.