Scotts Stabilizer Frame Mount Bracket cracking

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
Niner

#1 Post by Niner »

Has anyone else had issues with their steering stabilizer frame bracket cracking? I contacted Scotts and they said that they don't support the Cannondale anymore, they have a few of the smaller frame brackets but none of the larger sized ones. I'm thinking about just welding it back together but if there is another option I would be interested.

funmachines

#2 Post by funmachines »

Weld it and add a little reinforcement and it will be better than new but still fit.

Niner

#3 Post by Niner »

Well I was reading that the Honda CRF450 triple clamp was the same as the Cannondale, so I went over to BRP and picked up a new sub mount setup for an '03 CRF 450. I had to add two 14ga 1-1/4" washers to space the triple clamp a bit higher so the stabilizer arm cleared the triple clamp nut, and then make a new shorter frame tower bracket.

I bought 3/4" angle, 3/4" flat, and 1/2" round from Lowes. Cut round to 1-1/8". Used a drill press to drill a 5/16" hole in the center of the round, then I used 220 grit sand paper rolled up to smooth out the inside of the hole, finished with some 800 grit, pin fit just right (got the shortest one from Scotts, original was a bit too long). Then cut the angle to match the original bracket as close as possible ~28 degrees, then estimated the length of the band from original, welded both ends to the angle then welded a nut and shoulder to band (aim for the middle in the front so the handlebar clamp nuts clear; Cut the band, sand and paint. Install and torque everything up.

Niner

#4 Post by Niner »

Oh and a big thanks to Brad at Black Widow for hooking me up with a triple clamp washer, the original one evaporated once I went to reassemble.