Need to get my Cannondale running again

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
LedHead

#1 Post by LedHead »

I have a 2001 MX 400. I bought it new back in 2001. It has been a good bike, but it has been parked for a few years now. I want to get it back on the dirt.
It spun the water pump impeller and over heated. After letting it cool down, I tried to restart it. It would only back fire. A few days later I put a fresh plug in it and fryers starting it again. It would do the same back firing thing. I thought it jumped time, but after checking everything looks right according to the repair manual.
If anyone has any input as to the reason it won't run, I would really appreciate input.

Also, I am planning on installing a fresh piston and a new clutch. I would like some opinions on where to get parts and any other things I should do, for instance crank update.
I had noticed some gold colored shavings in the oil back when it was running. I would like to know the source of this also.
The engine is completely stock. I never had to do anything to it after I shipped it back to Cannondale because it wouldn't start or run right after I bought it and the dealership left me hanging. It came back fixed and ran great for six years.

I have tried to contact the guy at Black Widow, but he never responded.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Gold shavings= right side main bearing cage failure on the original brass bearing cage fx400 mx400 cases. When the bearing fails the crank flops around giving the crank position sensor funky signals and it will throw a spark all out of time giving a backfire . A simple test is pull the flywheel cover off and see if the flywheel moves up and down at all by gently prying on it with a screwdriver. Generally I have not seen this bearing failure ruin any engines and upgrading to the bigger bearing does the trick. The bummer is the massive amounts of brass that get into the frame is a pita to clean out.
Also did your water pump have the metal insert in it?