Starting Issue

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

Hey guys. After I got back from Majestic I washed and parked my bike. The other day I went to put both bikes in the front garage. The one I just got in Kentucky has not been updated as far as I know. It starts right up and idles perfect. The one I rode at Majestic still takes a while to get going and idle hunts for quite a while. Now it even dies a few times. KDeal noticed how well it started at Majestic and ran with no issues. How can I get them to start and idle right off the bat? I took a video today to show what I mean. Posting it to youtube.
I do plan on pulling the motor on the one I just got and have it gone over. Should I check something with a D&M,before I take the motor out. I would hate to lose that easy starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffsryjEONQ...eature=youtu.be

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Do you know what your flow rate, offset and tps percentage is for each bike?
I would bet that the one that starts better has a higher number offset and possibly a lower flow rate number and a higher throttle position percentage and it seems to me that you are lean at idle.
That said I would start by bumping up the offset by .1 at a time and trying it to see if it starts getting any better. If you start getting up to 1.4 then also start lowering the flow rate number by 50 first. An offset above 1.5 or a flow rate a couple hundred off from the factory setting in a stock motor is probably another problem like an injector that is not spraying well.

When you get to the point that it starts and stays running let it warm up fully and adjust the idle to 2100. Try it again stone cold by bumping the starter just barely and let the fuel pump prime... do this one more time before you crank to start. One stall if its below 60f I consider normal but when it is warmer than that it should stay running. When one is dialed in to start first time in really chilly temps it is probably too rich and your rings may go sooner than they otherwise would... and in that case limit your idle time if you dont want to dial it back and like it that way.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

This all makes sense to me. I don't have any equipment to do the adjustments.I do know the flow rate and offset for the hard starter before we remapped it. All of this has to be done with a D&M kit , right?

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

Yes it has to be done with a d&m... sorry I was under the impression that you had one.

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

I honestly don't know if I would know how to use the D & M kit. I'm afraid I would do more harm than good.

speedracer

#6 Post by speedracer »

Mr.Foot,sounds so familar.I fought that idle for months.I found it to be the IACV.Strange thing,I tried differant IACVs and they would work for awhile and then same idle.Just gave up and blocked the IACV,best thing I could have done.Starts easly and idles great now.Hope this helps.

bigfoot17

#7 Post by bigfoot17 »

Please call me FOOT. Mr. is so formal. I remember seeing that thread. Did you remove the IACV and put on a plate or just unplug it? Got any pics?

speedracer

#8 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Oct 12 2014, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please call me FOOT. Mr. is so formal. I remember seeing that thread. Did you remove the IACV and put on a plate or just unplug it? Got any pics?Yes,just removed the IACV and cut a piece of gasket material to the shape of the orignial gasket and put it inbetween the valve and throttle body,left it pluged in.Sorry no pics.You will have to give it alittle throttle after it fires for a minute or so,then it will idle on its own.I think alot of guys have done this,not sure what causes the issue with the valve,mine seemed to work,just got tired of dealing with it.

bigfoot17

#9 Post by bigfoot17 »

Maybe it's time for me to invest in a D&M kit. Where can I get one? And what all do I need to be ready to use it.
Also , who's up for teaching me how to use the thing?

Rally2

#10 Post by Rally2 »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Oct 13 2014, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it's time for me to invest in a D&M kit. Where can I get one? And what all do I need to be ready to use it.
Also , who's up for teaching me how to use the thing?

I got mine from Optimum Power a few years ago, not sure if they still have stock or not. I think Blackwidow ATV or Canniboomer here on this site might be able to hook you up. It's really straightforward software to use, your biggest issue is probably going to be finding a laptop or PC that has an RS232 port to plug in the cable. It will work (kinda) through a USB / RS232 adapter but I've never had good luck with those things. Especially when it comes to flashing the ECM I'd rather have a reliable connection..

EDIT just called Optimum out of curiosity and the do not have any more D&M kits for sale