Broken chain adjuster bolt

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

Well,I did it. Trying to do a little service to the new 'dale and I broke one of the chain adjuster bolts. I need to get it out ,so I can install one of Canniboomers kits. Already tried to double nut it,but she is frozen. I checked the length of the other bolt and it looks like I have abou 3/4" left to go.
Any ideas??

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

bummer need to drill out.. easier with a hammering-action drill and extra bits. starting small and going up.. Or however it comes out, just leave no more than a 9mm hole remaining, or to a max of 3/8" hole. You will likely need a chuck extension to stay parallel to the broken bolt, or some longer bits.
Or get one small hole drilled and give the bolt a good hit, and then try a bolt extractor.

The drill bit included with my kit is about 9.7mm fyi, and then you will drive the included threaded inserts into that same hole each side.
New stock bolts, narrow jamnuts, and nordlocks are also included. The bolts won't tend to seize again within the plated hard inserts.
But with the stock setup, as you know now, the adjuster bolts readily seize in the deep aluminum threadway.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

Dave,
Do you have a picture of your kit. The kits that I see online are just a "T" nut,flanged nut and a bolt.

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

Well,I tried double nutting. Then I welded the double nut and that just broke the bolt a little more.Then I welded a single nut and my weld broke. Guess I will have to drill it out.

exotic rider

#5 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Nov 23 2014, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well,I tried double nutting. Then I welded the double nut and that just broke the bolt a little more.Then I welded a single nut and my weld broke. Guess I will have to drill it out.

I repaired my adjusters as well,mine seized to.I was able to heat em using a pencil torch and eventually got them out-good luck

bigfoot17

#6 Post by bigfoot17 »

Dave;
Did you find a picture of your kit. Is the t nut pressed in?

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Sorry I don't have pics on my travel laptop... But yes you use any scrap 8mm bolt and nut to lock that onto the insert, and
then use a long punch or rod to reach,... and tap in the inserts -- very nice, ... not a sloppy floating setup like you may find out there.