Gearing up!

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Out of curiosity, whats the tallest gearing anybody has ever ran on a Cannondale Motorcycle?

I want to gear my S440 up a little more, but I'm not sure how small I can go with the rear sprocket safely. My current gearing is 15/45, and I'm considering trying out a 40 or 42 tooth sprocket in the rear. Will there be any negative side affects other than premature chain guide/slide wear?

My other option I guess would be to go up to a 16 tooth in the front, but I'm not sure whether it will actually fit or not.

Any opinions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Heres a picture for interest, my filthy S440 and my buddies converted WR450. You can see how small the stock 45 tooth rear sprocket already is.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Any 16t up front will likely cause rapid wear of the lower roller and cause chain nicks to the lower crossframe -- in a very short time.
Perhaps a smaller rear would still work with the stock guide block.

Have you also considered ditching the Motard trans gearing, if so equipped?.... Is it a true S440?.. or a converted E or X with standard trans?

yamadjs08

#3 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Dec 29 2014, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any 16t up front will likely cause rapid wear of the lower roller and cause chain nicks to the lower crossframe -- in a very short time.
Perhaps a smaller rear would still work with the stock guide block.

Have you also considered ditching the Motard trans gearing, if so equipped?.... Is it a true S440?.. or a converted E or X with standard trans?

It actually has the standard tall 5th gear in it at the moment. The main reason I want to gear it up even more is to stretch out 1st-4th gear. 5th gear on the highway is actually ideal, but droppin a few hundred rpms more wouldn't break my heart.