My Bikes are too loud

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

I am trying to make my bikes quiet. I'm talking XR400,DRZ400 quiet.
So far,I have purchased one of the Cannondale "euro" spark arrestors. Looks nice but chokes the bike so bad,it will not run right. So,I drilled it out a bit. bottom end sputters. Then it cleans out. But with the holes,I no longer have a spark arrestor. And it is still loud.
Then I took the stock exhaust apart,installed a spark arrestor screen and repacked it with premium packing. Revs out great,but way too loud.

I'm running out of ideas and money. I want quiet,but don't know how to tune the engine to rev clean throughout.
Buying another high buck can, just to see if it works is out of the question. Has anyone had any luck making them quiet and still run great?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-CRF450R-...004&vxp=mtr
Slap one of these on there.
Sticking "quiet " cores on a glass pack muffler is self defeating. A real chambered legal muffler is the way to go .

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 21 2015, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-CRF450R-...004&vxp=mtr
Slap one of these on there.
Sticking "quiet " cores on a glass pack muffler is self defeating. A real chambered legal muffler is the way to go .

John,
How can WE make that fit? It's not a spark arrestor. And are you telling me I have to cough up more cash? sad.gif

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

The super simple fix is to use the suzuki muffler like we use on the quads except for the triangular bulge add that inch or so width which might be a deal breaker on a bike. Although I had no issues with them on my bike with duals. Im sure with a little shopping around a cheap narrow stock muffler from any other brand can be made to fit . This was just an example. Your not in a horsepower race so noise and legal is the priority. We can also install a quad map for a chambered muffler. i dont know if there were any quiet exhausts on the bikes. Ebay is loaded with hundreds of stock spark arrested cans which can be had for a song.

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

I just won a set up for a Yamaha WR250, on E-Bay . Now I need to figure how to make it fit. Then I am sure that the bike is going to need a "detuning" to run right. wacko.gif

bigfoot17

#6 Post by bigfoot17 »

Well, I have managed to mangle the inlet pipe to look like shredded lettuce.Pipe is aluminum and was 1.75" od. I tried to stretch it to 2" id. This is not going to work.
Now I am thinking of finding an adapter that goes from 2" id to 1 5/8" od. I could slip the adapter into the silencer and then over the mid pipe.
One problem is that the silencer is long. I am afraid to cut the mid pipe too much and not be able to mount the original muffler,if this thing fails.
Most adapters are steel,so I would need aluminum or some strong clamps.
Any fabricators in my area?

bigfoot17

#7 Post by bigfoot17 »

I have managed to cobble mount the "new" silencer from a Yamaha WR250/450F. It is all slip fitted,since the silencer is aluminum and the sleeve I used was reducer pipe for a car. Lots of high temp copper sealant. Initial runs are making me very happy. Very quiet. I am even using the extra quiet insert.
Today ,I washed the dust off the bike and started it to check seal. Well,the mid pipe has a crack at the mount. How I missed that is beyond me. Oh well,time to remove and take to a welder.

[attachment=13475:YZ_EXHAUST__2_.JPG][attachment=13476:YZ_EXHAU...hlighted.JPG]

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Why dont you stop up next week and we will take care of it a go riding?

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

And bring me a bike wink.gif

bigfoot17

#10 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 2 2015, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why dont you stop up next week and we will take care of it a go riding?

I'll be there Saturday. rolleyes.gif