Thought on Cdale DS use

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
funmachines

#1 Post by funmachines »

My E440 is CA plated and has a fairly fresh motor with a ported head so it gets out of it's own way on the dirt but for any kind of pavement it seems to be a bit nervous, needs more low end and the transmissions ratios are a little too tight to be good at singletrack and some pavement duty.
I was thinking of buying something else with a bigger motor that could handle some bags on the back and be a little more comfortable with some pavement duty (TE610, KTM500, KTM690, TE570 or something similar).
While thinking through the grief I'll get from my wife for getting another bike I thought about one of the stroker set-ups for the Dale and realized for the really tight singletrack I prefer my gasgas 300 anyway. Would one of the stroker motors live
or are they just too much of a grenade waiting to go? I could gear up a bit with more torque and hopefully make it still work on the trails. Am I being unrealistic? It would be a good bit of work and it sounds like a longshot but since I don't know how reliable
and how big the strokers can go I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

Wistech and I were just talking about this yesterday. While you have much more actual running time on the street compared to the dirt, you also have much lighter load most of the time. I can't see why a stroker wouldn't hold up on the pavement. I will say my 467 in my race quad has been surprisingly reliable (knock on wood) I've got 100+ hours on it and it runs great still.

I'm hoping to get a big bore stroker built this winter for my s440, I'd really love to have 60hp on the street!

polyesterpig

#3 Post by polyesterpig »

For street riding, I would suggest three things. A balanced crank & a Cush drive hub. It takes me 45 minutes on the freeway to get to the mountains for street riding. I cruise about 65 mph on the freeway. Been doing the trip many times. The balanced crank is the reason the motor is still together & strong. The last thing is a coolant catch can. Bikes seem to get air bubbles in the impeller, quads don't. My coolant idiot light has saved my motor a few times.

yamadjs08

#4 Post by yamadjs08 »

Where did you get a cush drive hub polyesterpig?

polyesterpig

#5 Post by polyesterpig »

I had a set of Carrozzeria wheels made when they were making supermoto wheels. Unfortunately they no longer make them.

funmachines

#6 Post by funmachines »

I'm trying to find a CA street legal bike for my son and thought I should see if anyone out there knows of a Dale that is or was CA street legal. Even just a frame with a street legal title would be good since I still have a couple of parts bikes. . Anyone know of something out here in CA? If no reasonable Dale options maybe I'll let him ride my E440 and get an EFI TE 610 or maybe an orange 690. It would be nice to have the wide ratio trans in the 610 or the power and road manners of the 690.

Thanks

rayspeed

#7 Post by rayspeed »

Is this what you are looking for or is this your bike...
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/5232847260.html

Looks like a great price to me at $1250 says it is an 02 but looks like an 03 to me.

funmachines

#8 Post by funmachines »

Thanks for the reference. That is a good deal but it's not street legal and it's down in southern CA. I have an 02 myself already that is street legal and I'll never sell it.
If it was closer I'd go have a look since it looks pretty original. I have a few extra bikes that are green sticker only that I can't get street legal.

funmachines

#9 Post by funmachines »

Found a dual sport with more ccs. Picked up a Husaberg FE 570 today. Will still ride the CDale though and trying to get one for my son.

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Cool.