Oil Leak?

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

I start my bike about once a week and let it run for about 3 minutes. The other day,I went out and noticed a puddle of oil on the floor. I cleaned that up and let it sit for a week. Thursday night,I started it. Now today I go out and here is another puddle of oil. I can't find a drop on the bike. The only thing that looks different is the trans fill cap was damp.But not dripping.
Any ideas?
[attachment=13692:oil_leak...2015__2_.JPG]

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Check your shift shaft oil seal. Also, take a mirror and see if the clutch cover seal is pinched on the underside. You can probably do it with your finger though. I would do the same for the side cover gasket. Lastly, and most uncommon is a cracked case. Do you by chance just happen to change the oil previous to the last two times did you? If so check you drain plugs for tightness and a little bit of oil can hide on the skid plate when you are draining the oil. It could be residual but that looks like a little more than that.

bigfoot17

#3 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 12 2015, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check your shift shaft oil seal. Also, take a mirror and see if the clutch cover seal is pinched on the underside. You can probably do it with your finger though. I would do the same for the side cover gasket. Lastly, and most uncommon is a cracked case. Do you by chance just happen to change the oil previous to the last two times did you? If so check you drain plugs for tightness and a little bit of oil can hide on the skid plate when you are draining the oil. It could be residual but that looks like a little more than that.

I haven't changed the oil since I broke my ribs. I did feel around the seal areas. I am going to pull the skid plate and check closer.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

If its engine oil Id say the oil return hose on the back the engine ,its hose clamps or oring for the fitting. From where the oil is leaking from in the pic .

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 12 2015, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its engine oil Id say the oil return hose on the back the engine ,its hose clamps or oring for the fitting. From where the oil is leaking from in the pic .

Looks like it is that hose. I can't tell if it is the hose or loose clamps. I will check closer. Do I really need that heat sleeve over the hose?
What about braided stainless?

bigfoot17

#6 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Dec 19 2015, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like it is that hose. I can't tell if it is the hose or loose clamps. I will check closer. Do I really need that heat sleeve over the hose?
What about braided stainless?

Can I trash the heat sleeve?

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Yes its needed. The headpipe is right there cooking it.If you need some new stuff, I can throw one in the mail.