Overheated

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

Went trail riding and the radiator developed a hole. The engine got real hot. I would stop and let it cool , then continued back to the trailer.
When I got home, I changed all of the oils. The filter had some shavings in it. Bike restarted and idled just fine. But I have an inline sight glass and the oil is not flowing. Just a few bubbles.
What have I done this time?
[attachment=13819:glass_fl...tube__2_.jpg]
[attachment=13820:stainles...lter__2_.jpg]

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

Not sure yet,but it might be cheaper to get a new radiator. This one is a 13". A 15" should fit fine too, right?

polyesterpig

#3 Post by polyesterpig »

If you go with the wider 2003 radiator, the 2013 motorcycle plastic shrouds are larger and the black plastic radiator guard has the locating tabs further apart. Shavings are not good. Do you have the z400 bearing in the crank?

polyesterpig

#4 Post by polyesterpig »

By your videos, looks like you already have the larger shrouds? Are you sure you don't already have the larger radiator?

No oil flow. Take off your clutch cover and inspect your oil pump gears. The plastic teeth strip out sometimes.

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

This one has the Z400 bearing.
My other bike has the 15" radiator. I put the shrouds next to each other and they are the same. I did not think about the black plastic guard.

promod

#6 Post by promod »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Oct 12 2016, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This one has the Z400 bearing.
My other bike has the 15" radiator. I put the shrouds next to each other and the are the same. I did not think about the black plastic guard.

Mr. Foot,

If you decide to go 15" Radiator on the 13" one your going to replace, I have a 15" new plastic guard I can fix you up with...But I think its White though as the 15" one did come in two diff colors which both was made by Cycra back in the day, The early ones was White and the later ones were Black!

Although the 15" does provide better cooling, I personally still prefer the 13" due to the narrower width to get the bike in between tighter places like trees etc...in the woods as I like to get off the main trails and make my own, Plus they are less prone to damage in case of a Boo-Boo crash! LOL!....But that's just my own personal choice which really means nothing!

Also you might give Myler's Radiators a call in UT and ask for Terry (owner & founder), They specialize in Motorcycle and ATV radiators, repair and customization and are top notch and reasonable!, As they have repaired many and even customized many Bike radiators for me since they stated there business many , many years ago!, And the last time I talked to Terry he had some used but repaired radiators for the C'Dale's which I guess he kinda got on a exchange basis...not sure on that though or if he has any left, But would be worth a phone call!

Ciao my Brother! Mike

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

The cooling issue is most likely from the lack of oil flow as oil is a coolant as well. You will need to check the pump gears and the scavange pump pins for stripping. It's possible that the metal debris is just the scavange pump pin. Don't waste your money on a radiator or anything else until you find the issue. Also, please do not run the motor again until you restore oil flow. If it's not shot now it will be if you continue to run the motor with no oil flowing. ohmy.gif

bigfoot17

#8 Post by bigfoot17 »

I took the clutch cover off. The scavage pump gear just ratchets when I hit the starter.
Time to pull the engine.

bigfoot17

#9 Post by bigfoot17 »

Finally got the engine out. So far I see the scavenger gear has 6 teeth sheared in half. Time to go deeper.

bigfoot17

#10 Post by bigfoot17 »

[attachment=13828:20161017_155235.jpg]