Will GP Controls for Cannondale run on Windows 10

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
DaveKOregon

#1 Post by DaveKOregon »

I hope there are still some active Cannondalers out there.
??
My Windows XP notebook died and I'm reinstalling Optimum Power GP Controls.?? I'm trying to get it running on my Windows 10 notebook.
??
The diagmain.exe app installs and launches.?? However, I get an error when attempting to add the ECU for my E440.?? The error I get is:
??
TimeStamp Failure.
CurrentTime:
??
I'm guessing the application is having a problem reading the system clock, and the unlocking process fails.?? Just a guess.
??
Anyone get this running on Windows 10?
??
FYI - I'm getting my 2002 Cannondale E440 back on the trails.?? Can hardly wait!

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

There are a lot of us out here. Kinda like Oz. We hide in the woods.
I have not tried yet. But I'm pretty sure promod has done this. Do a search for Windows 10.
Someone will pipe in.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

I am not a computer geek so cant give you all the answers but here is what I found out:

Yes, I have/had DealerCal, ProCal and GP Control installed on a desktop HP AIO PC running Windows 10, Although had issues, Had to contact Optimum and had to get a tech support guy help me edit the regedit fields in Optimum certain files to write in command prompts as W10 would not load the whole program without doing that!

But them about 6 months ago a W10 update came through and reinstalled W10 with the new W10 Anniversary edition 1511...And note you cant stop those downloads from happening as BIG BROTHER Microsoft has complete control of updates and you cant turn them off!

So after that back to square one...not working again!

So...I just got fed up with it and found a nice old Dell laptop with Windows XP and a serial port on it and installed everything on it and all is good, But that is all I use this laptop for!

But note for those PC's and laptops without a true serial port, and trying to use a USB to serial adapter found that you could do some things but not all things with the program as per told by Optimum, Hence also finding the old Dell laptop with a true serial port!

I hate Windows 10 on a lot of things, BUT the more I use it for other things I have learned to love it again!...except the part that MS can access your PC or laptop at anytime without you even knowing it!...They are Big Brother watching you!

But try to contact Scooter on here as He was a former employee of Optimum and was there when all this was going on with C'Dale!, Super nice guy and always helpful and VERY knowledgeable about Optimums software programs!

Good Luck! Ciao! Mike

DaveKOregon

#4 Post by DaveKOregon »

Thanks for your responses. Great to know we are still out there 15 years later!

I got hold of Harry Ritter ("HarryMoto") and he recalled this from the old days. Had remembered having to set the computer clock back to the year that I received the original unlocking codes and then perform the unlocking procedure. I did that and ... bang ... up-and-running.

I remember using a Prolific USB-to-Serial converter on my Windows XP platform without any problems, but that was obviously not Windows 10 so who knows if that will work today. I'm gonna give it a shot.

Got the software installed and ECU is added. Time to hook-up to the Dale!

promod

#5 Post by promod »

QUOTE (DaveKOregon @ Jan 27 2017, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your responses. Great to know we are still out there 15 years later!

I got hold of Harry Ritter ("HarryMoto") and he recalled this from the old days. Had remembered having to set the computer clock back to the year that I received the original unlocking codes and then perform the unlocking procedure. I did that and ... bang ... up-and-running.

I remember using a Prolific USB-to-Serial converter on my Windows XP platform without any problems, but that was obviously not Windows 10 so who knows if that will work today. I'm gonna give it a shot.

Got the software installed and ECU is added. Time to hook-up to the Dale!

On the older Dell Latitude laptop with Windows XP I mentioned I just got a few months back I never had to set back the clock, just loaded the software put in code and up and going, But on my new HP AIO desktop with the latest W10 Anniversary edition version 1511 it will NOT let you change the binary clock, You can do it, but within seconds it resets itself to current time, date and time zone!

But glad you got yours up and going! biggrin.gif

DaveKOregon

#6 Post by DaveKOregon »

promod - When you use the panel to set the clock time back, you have to disable the "Set time automatically" option or you will have the problem you mentioned (where the clock is reset to the current time within a few seconds). That option appears near the top of the date-and-time control panel. With that feature off, you can change the clock and the change will stick.

I did a search for Windows across the entire forum and *did* find the thread where this was discussed. Thanks for mentioning that the thread was out there. Looks like I was searching within Cannondale Motorcycles section before I posted this question and missed that post.

FYI - I think Windows 10 was a great step in the right direction for 'Windows. At the very least, much better than Windows 8. I have upgraded my Windows 7 and Windows 8 PCs to Windows 10, except for one Windows 8.1 low-end ASUS tablet and I only use it as a web browser.

promod

#7 Post by promod »

QUOTE (DaveKOregon @ Jan 27 2017, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
promod - When you use the panel to set the clock time back, you have to disable the "Set time automatically" option or you will have the problem you mentioned (where the clock is reset to the current time within a few seconds). That option appears near the top of the date-and-time control panel. With that feature off, you can change the clock and the change will stick.

I did a search for Windows across the entire form and *did* find the thread where this was discussed. Thanks for mentioning that the thread was out there. Looks like I was searching within Cannondale Motorcycles section before I posted this question and missed that post.

FYI - I think Windows 10 was a great step in the right direction for 'Windows. At the very least, much better than Windows 8. I have upgraded my Windows 7 and Windows 8 PCs to Windows 10, except for one Windows 8.1 low-end ASUS tablet and I only use it as a web browser.

Yes, I knew that on the time thing, and that option was there in the original first version of W10, But now that option is gone, and according to MS community forums and them that part was disabled because of the automatic updates which you can not turn off either, you can turn off the part to auto install them, but they will still be there and downloaded on your PC and sooner or later they will download into your system, Its just like the mysterious System "Z" that has all of a sudden appeared in a lot of peoples drive folders several months ago, you can go in and remove the Z letter from the drive and from showing and it disappears for a while from your drives, but bang...then its there again!, Same as trying to disable that crazy lockscreen, you can do it, but bang it back before you know it, both these subjects are all over the MS community forums!...and all of this started with the W10 Anniversary edition version 1511 update!

I am not a computer geek and don't claim to know everything or really anything about PC's, But still feel W10 is MS being Big Brother and watching us!...As in a line from a song by the rock group Rush from 2112..."We have assumed control....We have assumed control...."

DaveKOregon

#8 Post by DaveKOregon »

I'm running anniversary edition of Windows 10 Pro, and the "Set time automatically" option is available to me. Maybe that feature isn't available with other Windows 10 editions (like Home edition)?

The experience you are having with Windows 10 is part of a paradigm shift to "agile" and "continuous integration". The idea is a bunch of small and frequent updates are better (in lots of ways) than infrequent complete system updates. Regular and frequent system feedback is necessary to make that happen, thus Windows 10 updates are installed more-or-less automatically. Big brother is watching, but not watching you. Just the system. Well...optionally watching you if you enable that option.

Regardless...lots of people feel the way you do, especially those who have come up through the "old" paradigm of bulky system upgrades. I come from that era, but as a software and systems engineer I'm pretty comfortable with the new paradigm. And I don't mind someone watching if I know (or think I know) why.

DaveKOregon

#9 Post by DaveKOregon »

A quick update on this...

Although setting the clock back allowed me to complete the Windows 10 installation and add the ECU for my bike, GP Controls is still not working on Windows 10.

The software continues to report that it is not licensed ("The software is either not properly installed or has expired"). Attempting to use the RECEIVE and other functions produces similar errors.

As well, even though the ECU was successfully added, there are weird "binary" characters showing up on the Add/Select ECU window, next to the alias name in the ECU list.

Setting the clock back doesn't address these post-installation issues.

I think these things point to the same problem promod has indicated - the software isn't Windows 10 compatible.

I've had a brief exchange with Scooter and he is checking into some stuff. However, he also suggests getting hold of a Windows XP system. That is my next course of action...

David

promod

#10 Post by promod »

I did make a mistake on my earlier post!...Getting old and forgetful I guess!

I did have it working on the original release of Windows 10 Home which was version 1511, Although had to do some editing in regedit on the command prompts in the Optimum Cal files with the help from Optimum!

But when MS Auto downloaded the W10 Home anniversary edition WHICH IS VERSION 1607 that's when the problems started that prevented it from working anymore, Although I believe it still can be done maybe, So that's when I just gave up and found a older Dell laptop with Windows XP on it and a true serial port and all is good!

Really just gave up as been fighting with it as to many other issues With W10 with other programs and software I use for other things, and like there's still websites that don't support any version of W10 to access them no matter what browser you are using, ...and its not a setting thing as called those places and they stated there sites are not yet compatible for W10 yet...but there working on it! LOL!....And W10 has been out now for going on a year and a half!...imagine that!

But also note, before I went to W10, I had W7 and had no issues with Optimums programs running fine!

But my mistake I mentioned was the original version of W10 Home was 1511, And the W10 Home anniversary edition is version 1607!

Ciao and good luck and keep us informed!...And if anyone can figure this out it will be Scooter...As He is the man with the answers of the C'Dale software! ...And Thank you Scooter for still being a part of this group and team and doing your best to help us all!