Radiator Cap with Temp Gauge

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

I saw this radiator cap and thought it might be a nice thing to have on my bike. Has anyone tried these? Will it even fit the Dales?
It is also a 1.8 and my current cap is 1.4. Will that make too much of a difference?

[attachment=13891:CAP.jpg]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/401058385052?...p;ul_noapp=true

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

I went and tried a friends cap from his 2001 Honda CR250 and it fits. I'm going to order one of the temp gauge caps and see how it works.
Rocky Mountain has them on sale for $17.50.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Apr 5 2017, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went and tried a friends cap from his 2001 Honda CR250 and it fits. I'm going to order one of the temp gauge caps and see how it works.
Rocky Mountain has them on sale for $17.50.

Mr. Foot,

Never tried one but have seen them advertised before!, Let me know how it works out for you!

Did you find one that was a 1.4? And did you order it direct from R.M. or find it on FleaBay (as I know R.M. also sells on there!) and what bike did you order it for? Might have to try one myself for S&G! ohmy.gif

Ciao my Brother! MW

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

nice find,thanks for sharing.

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

I bought the cap directly from Rocky Mountain. They had them on sale for $17.50. They have 2 choices. Based on what bike you own. Jap bike's get a 1.8 bar and Euro bike's get 2.0 bar. I found that our original cap fit my sons Honda CR250, so I used that as my reference when I ordered.
Our cap is a 1.4 bar. They claim the 1.8 raises boiling point 20 degrees. I did not want to raise the boiling point. I just wanted a cheap way to monitor temp. I rode around the yard for a while and it registered 150.

bigfoot17

#6 Post by bigfoot17 »

promod

#7 Post by promod »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Apr 13 2017, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good article with a wealth of info!, Read it before on Thumpertalk plus from a article sent to me from Myler's Radiator repair when I was having them make me some custom radiators for a off-road bike project years ago!, plus learned a lot over the many years about cooling from my uncle who owns a radiator shop!

Thanx for sharing MR. Foot!

Ciao my Brother! MW

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Apr 13 2017, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While it all sounds good the way they write it. I remember when guys would pull thermostats at the drag strip and it would make it worse, possibly because the coolant was moving too fast to absorb the heat. I am not really sure if that is correct but it seemed possible because the car was just running hot before removing the thermostat and was pushing coolant out after removing the thermostat.

Plus, we had a Banshee which seemed to be running a little hot and we installed a Toomey radiator with very little difference. I then decided to try a Pro Design coolhead and when I talked to the owner of Pro Design, he talked me into his water pump (which he claimed slowed the flow) and a restrictor to install into the upper rad hose. I may be wrong but this worked for us and it made sense.

Cannondale seemed to have a lot of extra cooling capabily designed into their engines. First off, with oil capacity and using the frame as an oil cooler. I also believe there is a formula to figure cooling needs based on HP and with the numbers Wistech is getting and I never heard of a cooling issue.

ScramblerXLE

#9 Post by ScramblerXLE »

I have one of these on my C440. If you're interested, I got the one for a 2004 Honda CRF450R. I'm reasonably certain that most of the Japanese bikes are the same. It works well!

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/917/-/...e-1.8-Bar?v=582