2002 Cannondale E440 purchase?

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
KVR

#1 Post by KVR »

Hello Everyone, new member here with a purchasing question. I'm a longtime enduro rider who has owned and worked on many bikes over the years. I just finished completely rebuilding an XR650R, sold it, and now I have a little extra cash to play with.

Anyway, I've come across a one owner 2002 Cannondale E440, with only a few hours on it. I'll try and post a picture of it, but it does look almost new. The owner says though he hasn't had it running in ten years. He said it will need a new battery, and the fuel flushed from the system in order to start it (I've had one fuel injected dirt bike, and Aprilia RXV450, but I never had to mess with the fuel injection).

He is asking $2450 for it, and I'm tempted to buy it. But I've seen these for sale over the years on craigslist, and it seems like they go for that much running, and maybe less.

So my question is, should I go for it? What do you guys think? I do love the off brand bikes for some reason, but after the XR650R rebuild, right now I want something that doesn't need much, i.e. I don't feel like spending hours and hours, and any more money, upgrading it.

Thanks very much for any input.

Kerry

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Bike looks extremely clean. Just an FYI, all Cannondales need a thorough going thru and updates before they can become reliable over time. Biggest issues are the crank lower rod bearing and the valve cover. The rod bearing was misspeced from the factory and ultimately caused their demise. The valve cover was made in magnesium and will cause electrolysis corrosion from the rest of the system being aluminum. I would do a few more updates personally, but those two are critical. You could use a waterless coolant (such as Evans), if the damage is not too bad. These bikes are unlike anything you have ever rode. They truly are unique. Good Luck.

KVR

#3 Post by KVR »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 2 2017, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bike looks extremely clean. Just an FYI, all Cannondales need a thorough going thru and updates before they can become reliable over time. Biggest issues are the crank lower rod bearing and the valve cover. The rod bearing was misspeced from the factory and ultimately caused their demise. The valve cover was made in magnesium and will cause electrolysis corrosion from the rest of the system being aluminum. I would do a few more updates personally, but those two are critical. You could use a waterless coolant (such as Evans), if the damage is not too bad. These bikes are unlike anything you have ever rode. They truly are unique. Good Luck.

Thanks Kdeal, the input is much appreciated.

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

Bike does look super clean and they are a blast to ride.
I would think that for that kind of money, he could throw a cheap Chrome Battery for $25 bucks just to see if it starts. At least that might justify the price.
I agree with Ken. They all need going through. Unless whoever you buy it from can prove it's been done.
Best of luck. We need more bike's at the annual ride.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

That's an exceptionally clean bike!, and obviously garage stored. Many of the 02 E models have the strurdy Unicorn case. But for sure, don't trust that the machine will be pumping coolant as it sits now,... and certainly don't bother to just drain the coolant, refill it,... and expect to ride very far -- that results in a common new-owner "gotcha". I would not even try a battery, unless you turn it over manually first, at the flywheel or by rolling it in gear. Even the bikes can oil-seize aka hydrolock after long storage. But the precautions and fixes are easy... good luck your dealing for it. That one deserves to be brought back to better than ever, and in the hands of a guy that pre-posts some questions,.. so congrats for doing that!

KVR

#6 Post by KVR »

Thanks to everyone for the helpful thoughts.

Just wanted to follow up, I ultimately decided against picking up the bike, mainly because of the crank/ main bearing issue that Kdeal pointed out. I can see that if I had the time, it would be entirely worth the effort in doing the repairs to keep such unique and badass bike on the road/ trail. Hopefully it'll go to a good home, I see that it's still on Seattle Craigslist if there are any takers here!

Excellent forum, really enjoyed perusing it!