E440 woes

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
eatcrpoopyz

#1 Post by eatcrpoopyz »

Hey gearheads,
Hope everybody got through the storms unscathed. Quite a spectacle for sure.

What Ive got is an 02 E440, number 12 in case that matters. with a ported 432, upgraded crank, fuel and oil lines, direct intake,
new everything with about 4 hrs on it since build. 3 of those hrs in one ride.
After finally getting her starting and running really good, with alot of help from Boomer,
it would stall suddenly but would start right back up and get me back to the house.
That is, until last time.
Rolling along about 55 or so, it died, it would crank but not start.
I think Ive touched on all the simple stuff and then started swapping stuff out to eliminate component failure.
Coil, injectors, regulator, ecm, tried several different maps, recalibrated throttle several times, and tried many different
offset and flow rate settings. still not starting.
Ive got great spark, plenty of fuel, and compression seems fine.
Im beginning to think Ive got a bad wire or ground Im missing somewhere.

When I first started working on this bike, it had been sitting in the shop since 08 when it was built. previous owner never got it to run
more than a few minutes at a time. Dave did a few things to it, new throttle body, regulator, injectors, new ecm, just to mention a few.
It was really hard to start when hot but ran really good. I richened it up alot, flow rate was in the 2350-2400 range with offset of about 1
finally dialed it in at 1975 and .88. seemed like it was perfect.
I was running a map called trinium for ported, open airbox and It was sweet all the way through from bottom to top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Ive got too much invested in this ***** to give up now. lol

Ive got an 03 X440 that was built at the same time, by the same guy, with all of the same upgrades and it is Bulletproof.
If I cant make the E dependable, Im gonna put all the d/s stuff on the X and set fire to whats left. lol

Thanks guys

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

My X died on me twice at the group ride. We had just dyno'd it and Tim cleaned the battery cables.
After it died we tightened the battery terminals a 1/4 turn and that solved the problem.
Hope yours is that simple.

eatcrpoopyz

#3 Post by eatcrpoopyz »

God I wish it was that simple. I have tightened every bolt, nut, screw or otherwise on this thing, cleaned and greased all of the wire harness
plugs, jumped up and down, screamed profanities and spat at the floor and still..... nothing.
Starting to think broken wire. ugh!
How was the ride? What did dyno say about your bike?

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

Ride was great. My bike pulled 40 hp. I am stock with a Yamaha WR450 silencer/spark arrester. Very quiet and more than enough power for me. The map is a Timbo modified C map.
Just a thought. Did you check battery voltage. Maybe a bad battery.

eatcrpoopyz

#5 Post by eatcrpoopyz »

Yea, even 1 step better, returned the new DEKA in for another one. Keep it on trickle charger / maintainer all the time
so I think that can be ruled out
Looking it over to see if I have a loose/bad frame ground. nothing stands out so far. Im gonna check the wiring harness
where it touches the subframe bolt, I read on here somewhere that it can rub and break a wire at that point.
Grasping for straws now. Coulda jumped timing I guess but it woulda quit the first time it died I think.
Im goin in. lol

Scooter

#6 Post by Scooter »

Start simple, go and check flywheel is in the correct spot with piston. You know you have spark so check that it is getting fuel. Does the plug come out wet? It should be soaked with fuel if you crank it for a while and no fire. Look in intake and see if you see the valves moving then cover with hand to see if you get blow back. Make sure all things are happening when they are supposed to. Just my two cents.

Scooter

eatcrpoopyz

#7 Post by eatcrpoopyz »

Well, the flywheel is good, key is fine, lots of fuel, wet plug and piston, nice hot spark, looking at wire harness now.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Did you check for the C in Cannondale being lined up with the flywheel key ? Ive never seen a key fail but many flywheels spun on the steel hub. When a flywheel spins it will do exactly what you have going on. Pull the nut and washer off the flywheel and look at it dead square on.

eatcrpoopyz

#9 Post by eatcrpoopyz »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Sep 13 2017, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you check for the C in Cannondale being lined up with the flywheel key ? Ive never seen a key fail but many flywheels spun on the steel hub. When a flywheel spins it will do exactly what you have going on. Pull the nut and washer off the flywheel and look at it dead square on.

Well I have a new flywheel, its for an 03 atv but if it will work Ill throw it on there. I dont see anything wrong with this one but since its off
I might as well swap it out. They interchange right?

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

There are 2 different flywheels a short hub and a longer hub. The short ones can bind and touch the stator causing a short . When replacing be sure they are both the same exact width by setting the inside faces against each other with the hub touching the outer edge of the other flywheel. . They should sit square to each other. Also on all flywheels there is a casting mark inside that can touch the stator . Grind them flush to the surface with a dremel . If one is touching the stator it will be obvious from the coating being rubbed off the coil wires.