Purchased another 2013 E440r motorcycle

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
polyesterpig

#1 Post by polyesterpig »

Picked this one up and overpaid. I knew I overpaid and still pulled the trigger. It came with some extras -d&m kit, new wheel set, new plastics. I was really after the vin number, kind of a special vin number. The bad, a blown motor due to coolant in the oil. Probably a Cracked sleeve. Coolant in the frame spars, but the oil and coolant were drained (hopefully soon after it cracked) I was told that it had an early Black Widow updated motor. Just dropped the motor and it has an aluminum valve cover, ported head. I haven’t cracked open the box of chocolates, but I will probably be replacing a lot of parts. All my other bikes were low hour machines, this one had quite a few hours. There are benefits to owning both types. I can now see where the typical wear items are. Looking forward to opening up the motor and digging in.

funmachines

#2 Post by funmachines »

I was always curious if the 2003 frames rode any different than the converted 2002s. I have a 03 frame and it seems quite a bit different than the 2002 where they sealed off the center air intake. Does it feel like the geometry is different between them?

polyesterpig

#3 Post by polyesterpig »

QUOTE (funmachines @ Jan 23 2018, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was always curious if the 2003 frames rode any different than the converted 2002s. I have a 03 frame and it seems quite a bit different than the 2002 where they sealed off the center air intake. Does it feel like the geometry is different between them?

I???m not sure because I have only owned the second generation. I would be interested in this info too. Maybe Canniboomer could chime in?

polyesterpig

#4 Post by polyesterpig »

Opened the motor. Zero rust and no pitting on the bearings. Looks like a brand new crank with a balance plug welded in (a poor solution for an out of balance crankshaft). When I send Cannondale cranks to Crankworks for the z400 bearing and balance, they add up to 208 grams of heavy metal ! Looks like this one is going there. Problem is the sleeve doesn???t looked cracked nor the case. Cylinder O-ring looks good too? Need to look for a warped head or? Didn???t have much time to investigate so this weekend I will try to find the culprit. Never rode a Cannondale with a ported head. Didn???t need more power for the trails, but the super moto!! Now building a list of required parts for the rebuild. Hard to believe this motor is 15 years old! Rubber seals look good but at 15 years, they are getting replaced. Noticed the air box rubber horn is starting to crumble, that can???t be good.