battery disconnect ideas

Bring all of your questions about the cannondale motorcycle here!
funmachines

#1 Post by funmachines »

I always keep a battery tender on the E440 because of the constant small current drain they all have. I'd like to put on a lithium and not do anything for months like my Husaberg but I would need to put on a disconnect switch. It would also be good for extended camping trips. Automotive race car disconnects are really big. I was thinking maybe some type of 1/4 turn fastener on the ground connection would be simple and light. Has anyone done something else they liked?

Thanks

Edit - I was thinking of other options that would be more work but would be passive when the key is turned off. Since I have a key switch I could run some more relays and shut off the ECU where all the battery drain is. If I used relays for the fan (connected to the ATV fan connection) and the fuel pump, it would protect the ECU better and then I could turn off ECU power with a std relay from the key switch. Or I could use one bigger current relay and leave the fuel pump and fan driven through the ECU. Probably would want a diode to protect against voltage spikes from the fan motor when it gets disconnected when it is still on.

I have a lithium battery tender - maybe it's not so bad...

Any thoughts?

eatcrpoopyz

#2 Post by eatcrpoopyz »

I did do one with a standard ignition switch. jumped it between the hot lead to the solenoid. worked good, mounted switch on side panel.

Tmack

#3 Post by Tmack »

i was just looking at switch tonight after ordering a lithium batter. very ironic to see this post as well as i rarely check this site. Please post some pictures of what you do/have done with links to switch.