Battery Problems

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
silverdale

#1 Post by silverdale »

I have an 02 dale I bought it new and with in the last two years I have put two battery's in it. mad.gif They were both the correct battery and maintence free. Each time I replace the battery it runs great for about a year then the problems start. The battery is dead and will not turn over I charge it and it runs fine for a couple of months and is dead again. The charger I have is well with-in the charging limits 750ma for 5~10 hrs. On both battery's I noticed that they have both gone dry this is not normal. Should I ignore the maintence free and check and fill on a reguler basis? Or is there some other root cause. Please help, I really like my dale but if this continues and I can not fix the problem I'm afraid I will have to trade for new quad sad.gif

Speed 1B

#2 Post by Speed 1B »

I upgraded to the 12. Some say its not neccessary, but its some extra juice when you need it.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Are you putting it on a battery charger?If so you MUST check fluid level since it will boil it out especially if using a higher amperage charger.Get one with a float mode.Other possibility is your quad is putting out too much current but I doubt that.

Easy E

#4 Post by Easy E »

It's possible your bike is over charging the battery. Check your bike while the motor is running to see what voltage is hitting your battery. Perhaps just a bad voltage regulator if this is the case. Check at idle and high RPM.

silverdale

#5 Post by silverdale »

The voltage is about 14v to 14.5 at idle and at speed

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats perfect.Nothing wrong there.