serial number and what is it worth

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Rays 426

#1 Post by Rays 426 »

Ok, I bought an 03 cannibal yesterday, drove 3 hours 1 way to get it not knowing what was wrong with it. I get it home to find out she is locked up. What is it worth, Its a very clean quad stars and stripes bodywork with no cracks and its not scratched up.
ser. no. is 5B6FD31343B000081
MOTOR NO. AAA5B3000465
Any help to a newbie would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU RAY

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (Rays 426 @ Jun 23 2006, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I bought an 03 cannibal yesterday, drove 3 hours 1 way to get it not knowing what was wrong with it. I get it home to find out she is locked up. What is it worth, Its a very clean quad stars and stripes bodywork with no cracks and its not scratched up.
ser. no. is 5B6FD31343B000081
MOTOR NO. AAA5B3000465
Any help to a newbie would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU RAY

From one Ray to another...
Hard thing to gauge since you didnt say what you paid but I would say it is worth up to $2000 as it is on the high end, parted out could get more and $1500 would be a good buy and $1000 would be a steal. The good thing is that (most likely your problem is the infamous big end rod bearing failure) for about $400 you can get a balanced reman crank with a bearing that is going to last (less if your crank is not too bad but unlikely) Update it with the following if they are not done allready, aluminum impeller $49 Boomers locking bolt kit for $75 a motor mount update for $40 a new side cover gasket for $15 maybe you will also need a valve cover $150 or if yours is ok run evans coolant for $35/gal. Maybe a good idea to go thru your decompression mechanism (the other possible cause of your lock up, less common) but this would be a bit more expensive because it could have taken out your head and piston.
The good news would be when you are done you will have a quad that is every bit as reliable, fast and well handling as most anything out there stock vs stock. Probably for more than half what a new one would cost and will not depreciate as much, in fact if you found yourself selling it in the future you would likely get back about what you put into it more or less, assuming you bought it right. But dont forget that you will be riding a rare unique handbuilt american machine that was way ahead of their time that not everyone or anyone and their brother can just go out and buy off a showroom.

Plenty of info on how to do it and alot of people here will help you thru it. Pulling the engine is not too hard and there are excellent instructions on the site. Complete manuals are also available for download. Remember you have to flush your frame as good as possible. If you are not mechanically inclined you could send the motor to blackwidow, but I caution you if you dont like working on your own stuff and just want to ride slow sell it and get a 400ex. Lots of info here and two other sites you can pour over!
Hope this helps.
Ray

Rays 426

#3 Post by Rays 426 »

LOL, I already have a 400ex with a 426 kit that I completely rebuilt. I am selling it, cuz I have always wanted a c-dale. I put it in the for sale section with a link to ebay. I dont plan on selling the dale, but with me everything is for sale and the right offer will take it. But unless that comes along I plan on keeping it for a long time. I almost bought this exact same quad in 2003..... I wanted 1 bad but got scared off and bought a new 2003 ltz400

2002canibal

#4 Post by 2002canibal »

Hey i see that u r a newbie and so am i but i do know my quads. I just bought a cannondale cannobal from my buddy that used to race it in hare scrambles 1 month ago and now i race it. But the one day we were riding down at our practice track and it just locked up on me the there is a decompression valve in the motor snd it went bad. so all u need to do is find ur nearest acnnondale dealer and tell then that u think u need a new decompression vavle because the quad is lock up at is not going to cost u alot...

U can reach me at Arideryfy450r@aol.com