Voltage Reg output Test?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

im having some trouble with my charging system and i think my voltage reg is to blame..is there a plasuable way to measure to output.. I hate those stupid static tests..

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

A simple voltmeter across the battery at fast idle should be bumping to around 14 volts. You can also read that in the D&M monitor screen.

But if the machine is spitting and sputtering when you get on the throttle, it may be caused by the voltage regulator. On a quad here recently, I turned on the headlights, and it suddenly ran perfectly. The extra 75 watts of drain on the system was just right in that case, so the regulator had been over-sending current, or screwed up between AC and DC. The D&M monitor was a strong 14 volts or so, but nothing unusually high. But, the status lights were tripping-out like a rock concert, and the ECU kept wanting to stall out(similar to fuel-starving symptoms, except for the status lights revolting). From now on, that will be the first simple thing that I check for. If the machine runs very differently with the headlights on, change the voltage regulator. That unit was likely damaged by an earlier incident of the flywheel rubbing against the stator (a Southbay Moto machine,.... don't ask!).

Nickc711

#3 Post by Nickc711 »

I actually have a new reg and stator in the quad I also checked all the grounds ,,but still the battery is draing when running ..it has everybody puzzled.. i spent my whole summer screwing with this thing and i plan on at least some winter riding..im thinkin the new reg was bad that why im wondering about it..??

JOEYblaze440

#4 Post by JOEYblaze440 »

QUOTE (Nickc711 @ Dec 7 2006, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually have a new reg and stator in the quad I also checked all the grounds ,,but still the battery is draing when running ..it has everybody puzzled.. i spent my whole summer screwing with this thing and i plan on at least some winter riding..im thinkin the new reg was bad that why im wondering about it..??

i just thought u should now you are not the only one with this problem i had this problem for about a year and i still cant figure it out

if i find anything i will let u know

Nickc711

#5 Post by Nickc711 »

i guess thats good to know cool.gif im tring as hard as i can to fix it ..keep it touch

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

What does your battery load test at? If it drops a cell it might still start the quad but never take a charge. Load test it to make sure it can put out at least 130 amps at a minimum 9.6 volts.

Is your stator rubbing on the flywheel? Have you checked the stotor wires for melting together by the clamp?
Just because they are new doesnt mean squat.

Whats the idling voltage and high rev voltage?

Nickc711

#7 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 9 2006, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does your battery load test at? If it drops a cell it might still start the quad but never take a charge. Load test it to make sure it can put out at least 130 amps at a minimum 9.6 volts.

Is your stator rubbing on the flywheel? Have you checked the stotor wires for melting together by the clamp?
Just because they are new doesnt mean squat.

Whats the idling voltage and high rev voltage?

nothing is rubbing and now it wont even start..