No oil flow seen in frame

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
TG2891

#1 Post by TG2891 »

If I look into the dip stick hole when the motor is running there is no oil flowing in the frame. How bad is the problem? I am thinking oil pump but have been doing some reading and I am hopping that something might just be clogged. Can anyone tell me how the oil runs throught the motor (Direction from start to finish) Also, the rear oil filter? If it is clogged will that stop oil flow and can that filter be cleaned or do you have to replace it?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

You can check the screen that is under the exhaust pipe and clean it. But that is more of a symptom than the actual problem. If it is packed with metal or something you have more problems than just that! Likely something got into your oil pump gears and chewed them up. You can pull the clutch cover and get a pretty good idea, if you cant see far enough back pull the clutch and basket. If it ran for any real time like that your cams will be worn pretty bad among other things. If that is the case you have to pull the motor to correct and find out what got into them.
That screen is not fine enough to keep some debris from jamming up the pump too..
Check the oil filter for metal too.

Good luck, Ray

TG2891

#3 Post by TG2891 »

Thanks for the info. I will pull the cover in the morning and check. Could this also be the reason that oil was purging out of the motor and into the airbox the last time it was ridden? I picked the quad up a few weeks back from a guy that had it sitting in his garage for some time. I have been in the process of getting it cleaned up and running again when I found this problem. This is the first time I started the motor and I ran it for a total of about 45 seconds. I am not sure how long he rode it before he noticed the oil problem.

Thanks
Tom

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

You need the oil line update. Not having it is the cause of spitting oil in the filter and running down all over the stem and causing a huge mess.. This happens at high rpm.. That is a simple fix. Not sure whats going on about the oil flow. Others will chime in on that also..

TG2891

#5 Post by TG2891 »

I just did the update on the oil line vent. I thought that that symptom may be tel-tel sign of another problem.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

It is.But under some conditions update can help out.Odds are your scavenger pump had something go through it which either broke the gear for pump or pin.If you take your clutch cover and the discs out you will be able to see the gear there are three gears about 2in dia near bottom of motor.From left to right it is idler gear,scavengerpump gear,transpump gear.

TG2891

#7 Post by TG2891 »

Thanks for the help, found the problem. It was the pump gears. I was able to inspect the gears as you suggested and found the teeth ground away. Now I just need to find out why it happened.

Thanks for all the help
Tom

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Try turning the middle gear by hand (may have to remove the gear) and see if the pump shaft is frozen or difficult to turn. If it is,you had something go thru the pump. If not, then look for something in the bottom that could have gottn stuck between the gears (loose bolt or other part).