Croming

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
440speedkid

#1 Post by 440speedkid »

I have havent seen a cannondale frame powder-coated but i have seem them look like they were crome dipped as well as the swing arm kinda like 2000ex's canibal. everything looks crome.
i would like to get the fram powdercoated or the dip if possible..

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Most likely polished, it can be a time consuming maintenance issue to keep it looking good.
There are products that can make it last longer but no matter what you gonna be spending alot of time rubbing on it.
When I was young I used to rub on it all the time but as I get older it becomes more of a chore.
Back to the frame... yeah come to think of it there are products that can make that last longer too...
Ray

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

How about this one? Not the best job of it but looks great for now. Polishing requires a lot of maintenance like said, but there's several on here w/powdercoated frames.

2000ex

#4 Post by 2000ex »

Polishing is very time consuming, and I wont keep up with it that much. Every few weeks just rub it down with some wadding polish and a clean rag. When I tore the machine down, I figured why not while I had everything apart. I just used some aluminum polish and #000 steel wool. MAYBE I spent 2-3 hours total on the frame and swingarm. It is by no means show polished, just more clean looking then the bare aluminum.

As for powdercoating, I used to run a small PC shop. Sure you could PC the frame, however over time it will start to chip from rocks, etc and the aluminum will show through. You will need to have it re-coated to keep a perfect appearance every few years. The downfall is the removal of the PC. You will need to chemical strip it then sandblast. Most powdercoating is removed by a burn-off oven then a light sand blast to remove the ash left over. That is done at a temp 800 degrees and higher. Not good for a heat treated aluminum frame. The heavy sandblasting and chemical stripping will need to be done VERY carefully as to not get any inside the spars that will ruin the motor in short order. If the bare polished aluminum gets roosted by a rock the finish will look identical and surely not as noticable as if it were powdercoated a different color than silver. .

You can go either route, but what looks more trick than a bare frame? I have people constantly coming up to me at the races and the bike gets many people stopping asking "what the heck is that?"

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Me too! (actually Haydug did it)

[attachment=4042:red_quad_4.jpg]

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

There are quite a few people that have gone the PC route. jfarrar did it and I know I saw at least 2 frames at Haydug's place a couple years ago. You just have to be careful not to get it too hot while in the oven. Its a lot easier to do the PC for sure!

440speedkid

#7 Post by 440speedkid »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 30 2007, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too! (actually Haydug did it)

[attachment=4042:red_quad_4.jpg]

now i got to get the p-c both of theose frames look sexy as ****

440speedkid

#8 Post by 440speedkid »

QUOTE (440speedkid @ Jun 30 2007, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now i got to get the p-c both of theose frames look sexy as ****

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Be carefull if your painter sandblasts the frame! Every hole into the frame cavity has to be plugged BEFORE they sandblast the frame. If not every motor you put in it will fail due to the grit you can never get out. Just ask JFarrar, he wasted two motors this way.

azcannon

#10 Post by azcannon »

loving all the powdercoated frames