Croming

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
wayneschofield

#11 Post by wayneschofield »

Aren't they anodised already? They look like they could be, the welds being the same finish and colour as the rest of the frame.. and they seem to be good at resisting corrosion. Mine have been wet and burried mud plenty of times and are still in good condition when cleaned again... not like bare ally would be at all....

Chroming tends to flake and then water gets trapped under it and the whole thing starts to look awefull, not to mention the flaking bits being razor-sharp

If I'm right and they are, we could have them done in another colour for decorative purposes.... I was looking at having my engine cradle done anyway to re-cover the engine mounts where I have modified them....

I have a spare subframe I could send in to get done, as a sample just to see.... if anyone else is interested I'll post the results....

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

Be careful when anodizing a frame. First you will need to polish the frame to do it right. Then you will need to replace every single rivnut on the frame due to the fact that the acid eats the steel rivnuts up during the anodization process.

speedracer

#13 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 30 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be careful when anodizing a frame. First you will need to polish the frame to do it right. Then you will need to replace every single rivnut on the frame due to the fact that the acid eats the steel rivnuts up during the anodization process.

Has anyone tried chrome plating a frame? or better yet black chrome,that would look wild.

azcannon

#14 Post by azcannon »

I want to do one in gold chrome and put 20's on it that would be sweet

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

AZCannon needs some serious help.....LOL

wayneschofield

#16 Post by wayneschofield »

I have a stock grab-bar I'll send to be done as an experiment, just to see how it works out. If it doesn't come out ruined I'll have the engine cradle done where it's been modified (I'll have to post pics of the mod, see if you agree with my thinking....)

I'll post when I know how it's gone..... (even if it's gone wrong....) unsure.gif

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

Wayne, make sure you knock out the nuts on the back of those items (they are removable). I would have the items polished first before you anodize them for a better finish.