Powder coating

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Sand_Blaster

#1 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Hey I want to get my case powder coated, has anyone done that yet? Will it affect anything if I got it coated?
Thanks

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

I have one (soon to be two) cases that are powdercoated. Wistech had my first one done and they did a good job. I am looking to try and get a head done as well.....

Sand_Blaster

#3 Post by Sand_Blaster »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 1 2007, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one (soon to be two) cases that are powdercoated. Wistech had my first one done and they did a good job. I am looking to try and get a head done as well.....

Awsome do you know if there is any special prep to have these done?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Send Wistech a PM he can tell you more.

[attachment=4286:Kens_Spe...Motor_4a.jpg]

[attachment=4287:Kens_Spe...Motor_3a.jpg]

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

Nice lookin unicorn

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Believe it or not it was converted from a cable clutch by the master machinist!

tongue.gif

440efismokinu

#7 Post by 440efismokinu »

[attachment=4425:DSC01946.jpg]I wish mine looked that good i just pulled it out last weekend

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

I have some reservations involving the potential for it to inhibit the transfer of heat to some degree, but I live in a desert and that may not be a concern everywhere. The dale seems to have pretty good reserve cooling capacity with all the people pc'ing their frames and motors and such. Also the choice of color could make an effect.. darker is better for heat transfer.
The trick is to make sure that all the right places get the metal tape over them so it might be best to do that yourself and it could also save you some money because it looks like it would be labor intensive.
I think they use the aluminum metal tape that you can get at the hardware store.
They blast them with something and you really have to make sure that all of that is gone before you put it together or that grit will ruin it from the inside out!
Ray

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Id like to know how color affects thermal transfer. You can tape off parts for powdercoating with regular masking tape believe it or not. Preparation is the key to making powder stick to anything. I bake the parts especially anything that had oil on it before the final cleaning because oil just trashes powdercoating.