electrial problems

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cdalerider31

#1 Post by cdalerider31 »

I raced a few days ago and during practice it rain so it was really muddy. it ran good and all but when it was time to race i had no power to the starter. i had it pull stared and it fired and ran like it always does. I clean it real good and figure the mud had something to do with it. When i turn the key the fuel pump primes but when i push the start button i have nothing. it doesnt turn over or anything. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? thanks

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

Dirty starter button?

wright

#3 Post by wright »

all those little bullet conecters down under the air box, one of them might have come unpluged from all the mud hanging on them, should keep them tied up if not already.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Check to see if you are getting a ground from the starter body to the negative post of the battery. I had this exact same problem where the negative side cable no longer was grounded where the factory mount is. I believe the rivnut in the frame became corroded and caused the problem. I used the motor mount bolt as my new ground (I ran a second one). You can take a jumper wire from the frame to the negative side of the battery and see if that fixes the problem. If not Wright's suggestion above is most likely the cure. I believe the mud boys unplug the connectors one at a time and packs them with dielectric grease, and replugs them in. Zip tying the wires up and out of the way is a good idea as well.

cdalerider31

#5 Post by cdalerider31 »

well i did everything you guys told me to do and i still had nothing. My buddy and i got to thinking it acts like the safety switch on the clutch wasnt working. so we pull the two wires off and cleaned them put back on and it turned over. i never thought to check that. i was kind of piss thats all it was after messing with it for a few hours. thanks for your help!!

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

I cut mine and wired it together. That won't happen again.

MyCannibal

#7 Post by MyCannibal »

yeah you wanted to do away with that clutch thingy a long time ago dude...its been provin to be problems on other quads as well...

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

Yup, I hate those things. The plastic pin wears away and then it does not work anymore.