My first Cannondale

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
gml1998

#1 Post by gml1998 »

I just got a 2002 cannibal LE .It ran good on my test drive,Bought it and took it to Attica (Badlands).1 week later.I started it and let it warm up about 5 minutes Then took off. I rode it about 10 minutes then shut it off to talk to 2 other Cannondale riders.It was very difficult to restart but it finally started,I went about 200 yards than it stalled and would not restart.I towed it back to the truck.I tried to start it several more times , twice it started ran about 3 seconds then quit again.I brought it home , charged the battery overnight and tried to start it,it cranks fine but would not start. After a few tries I smelled raw gas and figured it was flooded, I disconnected fuel injectors and tried to start it it fired up and ran a second or two then quit.I reconnected injectors but it still won't start.It seems like its flooding out?I am aware of how to start fuel injected vehicles and followed starting instructions in the owners manual.
I'm not sure what updates have been done on this bike.
I was hoping my first post would have been a little happier rolleyes.gif
I know Dales require lots of TLC,I can do most mechanical work,but these are new to me and I,m not sure what tools etc. I need.
Anyhelp from the Cannondale gurus in this forum would be great.
Thanks in advance. Gary.

ciscorc

#2 Post by ciscorc »

have you checked the plug yet to see if it was indeed flooded or possibly fouled? I am sure one of the real guru's will be chiming in soon so have no fear

MyCannibal

#3 Post by MyCannibal »

sounds like a spark plug...

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

Put a CR8EK in it, or better yet a CR8EIX Iridium.... If you hold the thumb throttle 100% open it will not flow fuel while in startup (based upon the rpms reading below ~2000rpm). This will clean the cylinder out and is a bit easier than disconnecting injectors!

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Right off the bat Id check for a good white spark (Bad coil)and make sure the flywheel hasnt spun.

gml1998

#6 Post by gml1998 »

Thanks for the input,I will put in a new plug and post the results.Canniboomer also called me ,He was helpful and seemed very knowledgable .Thanks all.Gary.

gml1998

#7 Post by gml1998 »

Still no go .I installed a new plug ,and checked spark.Spark looks white - blue in color.It did start and run for 3 seconds and died.If I disconnect fuel injectors it will start and die right away which leads me to believe its getting too much fuel, it will idle for 3-4 seconds with one fuel injector unplugged.I also dropped a teaspoon of oil in the spark plug hole I thought maybe the rings got washed with fuel.Anymore suggestions would be great. Thanks. Gary.

cool_dude_dotcom

#8 Post by cool_dude_dotcom »

Hey that sounds like mine. I have an '02 cannibal that Dave is working on, Hopefully he can get it running and tell you what you can do to yours.

quadracer500

#9 Post by quadracer500 »

when the fuel pump runs look in the fuel tank to see if fuel is returning to the tank, if the oring swells in the quick connect or the connecter is not fully engauged the pressure will be very high causing a rich condition, know from experience ,also what did the plug look like when you took it out?

gml1998

#10 Post by gml1998 »

Well I'm starting to lean towards a fuel pump or regulator.If I clamp the fuel return hose near the regulator the bike will start and idle .I removed the quick disconnects .There does'nt seem to be much flow into the tank from the return port.I think I will look for a new pump and regulator.I will post the results.Gary.