My first Cannondale

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
gml1998

#21 Post by gml1998 »

I'm going to try injectors next .I ordered thm from cannon-moto.I haven't got them yet.I also ordered a new coil to try . I will post results. Thanks for any input.Gary

gml1998

#22 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (gml1998 @ Oct 8 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to try injectors next .I ordered thm from cannon-moto.I haven't got them yet.I also ordered a new coil to try . I will post results. Thanks for any input.Gary

I just got done installing two new injectors and a new coil.It still won't start.When looking down the throttle body it looks like the injectors only mist once ,any more suggestions would be helpful.Thanks Gary.

jesshamner

#23 Post by jesshamner »

Do you have a D&M kit? Just wondering. I doubt it will be that much help. So you have air/gas mist and spark. Do you have compression? I can't remember if anyone has mentioned the flywheel. Did you check to make sure the keyway lines up with the C? Crank position sensor is plugged in correctly? Check all your harness plugs.

I hate to say it but if you have checked everything externally, the only other thing is to check cam timing and the valves.

Are you getting fuel back into the tank from the return line when you crank it?

NRath

#24 Post by NRath »

I'm still leaning towards the coil, too. In the next couple days, I'll take some pics of a good spark and a spark that looks good, but isn't. I hate to see people buying left and right and not getting the right parts. I also hate to see something simple dragging out. Did you look for other C'daler's close to you?

Edit: Oops, I just saw you tried the coil. So much for that...

Have you tried giving it a little gas while cranking? Like 1/8" or so. Don't count the slack in the throttle cable.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Stop buying parts. Have you gutted your fuel line quick connects yet? Cleaned the tank screen ? Replaced the fuel filter. DO this first.
Looking down the throttle body at wide open throttle will just show small squirt and then nothing because wont spray at WOT.

gml1998

#26 Post by gml1998 »

Hope is fading,It doesn't look like the bike will be running for our Oct. 20th ride date.
Any more suggestions would be great. Should I buy a D&M kit, would this help diagnose
The problem?Is there anyway to check to see if the injectors are getting the signal to fire?Also can the crank sensor be checked? Thanks. Gary

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

You can check the injectors by totally removing the throttle body or even if just opening throttle all the way and looking they will squirt a few times then stop.You can see all this with flashlight.If they squirt they are good and you did that and said both new ones sprayed.I didnt see if you checked compression and I also see you put a CR9ek in try a 8 like suggested.Does it still run when return line is pinched?If so this must be the disconnects or filter.How about the fuel is it old?

gml1998

#28 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 12 2007, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can check the injectors by totally removing the throttle body or even if just opening throttle all the way and looking they will squirt a few times then stop.You can see all this with flashlight.If they squirt they are good and you did that and said both new ones sprayed.I didnt see if you checked compression and I also see you put a CR9ek in try a 8 like suggested.Does it still run when return line is pinched?If so this must be the disconnects or filter.How about the fuel is it old?

The fuel disconnects have been gutted, fuel pressure is 43.5 psi.I have not checked compression,I don't have an adapter to fit the bike.The fuel is fresh 93 octane.Maybe I will pick up a cr8ek and try it.The fuel filter is new.I have not been able to get it to run by pinching off fuel line again.Thanks for the reply. Gary

ABM-CANNIBAL

#29 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

A few months ago my quad quit running and here are some of the things I did to narrow down the problem.

Check flywheel for being spun and sheared key. Keyway should point to "C". Take out sparkplug and stick a rod down the hole. At the pistons highest point the Keyway should point straight up.

Pull flywheel and check your stator for exposed wires. Mine had a bolt back out and was rubbing against the flywheel. My stator was covered in metal dust from the bolt. Clean crank sensor since you are there.

Disconnect stator from voltage regulator and try starting. This will by bypass your stator and eleminate that if there is no change.

I tried a working voltage regulator and ECM.

Try spraying starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts. If it starts you know it is a fuel problem. If it doesn't start, then you know it isn't your injectors or fuel system.

Disconnect and reconnect all electrical plugs and sensors.

Check your idle. Might have turned and is to low to start. Try cranking with just a crack of the throttle.

My problem was with my coil. Put a new one and it fired right up.

How does you motor sound when it is cranking? Is it normal or is it slow. Could be your decomp. Check compression.

I hope some of this helps. Don't give up. I got tired of my quad and it ended being a coil.

gml1998

#30 Post by gml1998 »

Thanks for the reply.I am going to spend time on Sunday and check some of the things you mentioned and will post results.Gary